What's new
What's new

Buying a Fadal 3016HT - Opinions wanted

I like my fadals. That is a bit high on the price but if it’s in really good condition it could be worth it.

Yeah, just buy stock in Turcite, thrust bearings and don't quote anything with tight tolerances and you're in business.

Yea the turcite can be hard to check

I went to go look at a machine to replace mine and while visually the turcite seemed good it was not perfect once I measured with my granite straight edge. The guy was asking way too much so I left. For how much he was asking it should been perfect

I wont comment on the price.
However I wouldnt buy a FADAL or any machine with out physically seeing it and running it or at the very least knowning the persona that owned it.
on fadals theres a ton of machines out there and a ton of people who dont take care of them run water instead of coolant or very thin coolant cause they are using it part time etc etc.
Generally coming from a dealer you have no clue what your getting unless you have someone check the machine out that doesnt KNOW the dealer. Also have it ball barred before you buy it by again someone who isnt affiliated with that dealer. That will tell you almost everything about the machine and what it may need.
There a great machine slow if your doing production work but there reliable, can be fixed easy as well and parts are avail almost anywhere.
on turning circles the only machines with the old motors (AC?) dont turn as perfect of a circle then the DC machines. I might have the ac/dc thing confused)

Yeah, just buy stock in Turcite, thrust bearings and don't quote anything with tight tolerances and you're in business.

Thats not exactly true. of all the fadals Ive had and know people that have them, went to look at them for friends or me interested in buying one for the last almost 30 years. Ive only seen 3 with turcite issues. maybe 5-6 with ball screw issues (excesive back lash), Thrust bearings about a dozen or so but I would recommend automatically change anyhow. its fast and easy as well as cheap.
as far as accuracy both my fadals hold .001 all day long, my 96 holds the z axis less than .0005 all day everyday for the last 2 1/2-3 years, since I put all new thrust bearings it in. true position less than .0015 over 40 x 20 inchs of travel.

Its not a 2007, it was "re-manufactured" in 2007, which isn't necessarily a bad thing,
BUT!!! it has a MAG sticker on it. I wouldn't touch a single thing that MAG every had a
hand in, they have literally f'd up every single thing they have ever touched.

I agree with Bob, I wouldnt touch a MAG machine.

Since youre in Ontario, you can PM me for contact info for a few guys that should be able to point in the right direction.

Hello,

I am looking at a 2007 Fadal VMC-3016HT Rigid Tap, MP Control. They are asking $17k for it, and is offered on eBay, link as follows:

2007 30" X 16" Y Fadal VMC-3016HT Rigid Tap, MP Control, REF#CNC0797 | eBay

I like the boxway-rails that a rigid and stronger than the linear rails. For those of you who own one, can I get an opinion on the purchase and any thoughts/feedback please.

Thank you all.

They can be good, but the controls are something to be desired...... but California to here would be like $15K shipping cost.

Thank you all for you feedback.

I am now kind of concerned with the Mag as @macd mentioned. Switching gears to a more vintage machine which is a 4020, link as follows:

Fadal VMC4020 Vertical Machining Center | Adams Machinery Company

It has a CNC88 CPU Control with rigid tapping that I think is great for the almost $7k they are asking (much less than the $17k).

Adams Machinery is also offering a 30 day guarantee which is great.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all for you feedback.

I am now kind of concerned with the Mag as @macd mentioned. Switching gears to a more vintage machine which is a 4020, link as follows:

Fadal VMC4020 Vertical Machining Center | Adams Machinery Company

It has a CNC88 CPU Control with rigid tapping that I think is great for the almost $7k they are asking (much less than the $17k).

Adams Machinery is also offering a 30 day guarantee which is great.

Any thoughts?

That machine doesn't have the extended Z. If you ever get a 4th axis, or any tall parts, not having the extended Z will be problematic.

If it was me I'd look for linear rail machines, changing rails is a whole magnitude easier than Turcite.

You either need to go and inspect the machine, or get somebody familiar with Fadals to look it over.

One other thing you should watch for is whether the machine in the ebay ad actually belongs to the ebay advertiser. In the case of the machine in post #1 PM Machinery is a legit dealer.

Ok, finally, just made a move on a 1995 Fadal 4020 for $15k CAD with 88HS control, hydrosweep, 7500rpm spindle and rigid tapping. It is in fairly decent condition. Not sure how fast these machines run (rapids)? Anyone have any good designs for a fixture plate? Thinking of milling my own using 4140.

Back