Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SVFeingold View Post
    The permanent changes to the property should be limited to the 100A subpanel. I totally hear you about renting vs. owning but in all actuality, you are not getting the money back that you spent on a floor (or whatever else) whether you own the place or not. Vanishingly few buyers know or care how thick your garage floor is. The only real factor is how much time you spend using that stuff you improved before you move. You are spending the money either way. It's gone. If I spend $5k on a subpanel and move after two years I will consider that "worth it." The actual financials of buying vs. renting don't make a strong case for buying a house just so your 5-10k of non-recoverable improvements are for "your" house, IMHO. If I had $300k for a down payment I wouldn't be looking for financing.

And yes, I'd love to see your shop when things go back to semi-normal in a month or 12.
    I totally agree -- the big advantage of owning for this sort of thing is that you can do whatever you want, and amortize the cost over a much longer usage period. It took me three years to find a house (long story...) and I hate moving, so my amortization timeline is "until I die." I hope.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And yes, I'd love to see your shop when things go back to semi-normal in a month or 12.
    I completely forgot to mention that my "lab" is absolutely tiny, because of my jurisdiction's setback laws, permit/design review process, and where the existing structure was. So it's a bit of an exercise in how much you can stuff in 250 ft2. For me, a S500X1 is the max; on paper I have just enough room for a tiny lathe (like a baby Genos or a Takisawa) and a vertical bandsaw. Plus stock storage, workbench space, etc. I really wanted to squeeze in a S700X1, but I just could not make that work. I thought I was spending way too long with the entire space drawn up in a layout program, and I was wrong -- I needed to spend even more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trochoidalpath View Post
    I thought I was spending way too long with the entire space drawn up in a layout program, and I was wrong -- I needed to spend even more.
    Yep...I have an electronics lab I crammed into ~80sqft in my old condo, was looking forward to expanding a bit in the garage which is ~340sqft. The CAD layout really helps to gauge how much room there actually is. I might just use a spare bedroom for EE space and keep this as a mechanical space.

garage-vf-2.jpg

garage-brother.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hilariously, I am right now trying to decide if I should buy an S1000 or M560V.

I sold one of my machines today and I'm trying to sell the other...

For my purposes the Okuma looks like a no-brainer, but I am right in the $105-120k range for either depending on what options I choose...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going to be doing a lot of aluminum, you should make sure you get a separator conveyor of 250 microns or better. The aluminum sticks to the belts and washes off into the tank backing up and flooding the floor. I have seen Mayfran conveyor and tanks go as long a year on cleanouts. Mayfran has always been the goto conveyor for aero-space with lots of aluminum parts. They have a universal design with the brother machines that will fit any of the brother's speedio machines and you can config the discharge for right or left in the shop. Meaning if you move things around, you just have to change the discharge to what is best for your shop without buying a new conveyor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep...I have an electronics lab I crammed into ~80sqft in my old condo, was looking forward to expanding a bit in the garage which is ~340sqft. The CAD layout really helps to gauge how much room there actually is. I might just use a spare bedroom for EE space and keep this as a mechanical space.

garage-vf-2.jpg

garage-brother.jpg
    A cad layout is great... to start with. When we moved shop years and years ago, we bought large black sheet 'stuff' and made full size cutouts to lay on the floor. Everything looks different at full size vs a virtual cad model. We quickly found our cad layout wasn't going to cut it....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    No brainer for me.

I'd get a Haas........
    WOW even their own dealers call them entry level machines. Go with the Brother and Mayfran conveyor.