What's new
What's new

Buying a mill/lathe CNC to start my business

Davaro

Plastic
I am starting my own machine shop business and I would like to take the right decisions before I purchase any equipment.
In all of the posts that I have read they recommend to purchase a manual lathe and manual mill to start.
In my case I already have customers that will require machine shop parts. I had a recommendation that I should purchase a Mill/Lathe CNC machine, that way I will be able to make parts faster and of a better quality. The other advantage is the investment cost vs the capacity you get.

The plan is to make parts out of aluminum, delrin, and stainless steel mostly.

There are a lot of experts in this forum and I would like to receive your opinion.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Ok, that's a big question. My opinion is start out with support equipment. Manual mill (Bridgeport) style and a small to mid size size lathe. Then from there go with your strengths. Remember CNC equipment I'd also recommend a decent cad/cam Computer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks John for your feedback!
I received some recommendations to buy a 2hp bridgeport mill machine and the price for a used unit ranges from 3500 to 13,000 usd.
I found 1.5hp bridgeport mill machine in LA for 1700 usd, but did not like the condition it was.
By chance do you know of a good place where I can buy machine shop equipment to a reasonable price?

Thanks

A turret lathe like this having metric and SAE threading can hold a center to do between centers work also.
Yes some turret lathes have thread ability.. Do one ups and long runs much faster than a simple manual lathe.

Clausing Lathe 15 x 48 - tools - by dealer - sale

I would buy this one myself if I had the room ..plus I don't do lathe jobs..only grinding.
Still with a CNC lathe you can do mill work while the lathe is making money.

QT: [I already have customers that will require machine shop parts.] *Only if you can make good parts and beat the other guys bid/Quote.

I know that is a long way to ship a lathe.... And it should have collet set and a 4 jaw.

Last edited:

Back