What's new
What's new

Buying my first slant bed, I've got several quotes that I thought I'd share.

ondori

Aluminum
I'm looking to buy my first slant bed lathe CNC lathe. I reached out to many different vendors for quotes, which I have shared below.
I haven't made the decision yet, thought I would get this forums input.

My requirements are simple; 8" hydraulic chuck, coolant thru, tool probe, conveyor, parts catcher.
And lastly it has to have a controller that already has an post processor available on Fusion 360. I know all too well the headaches of getting a post programmed.

So here is the list;

Automate SL6 $54k
Haas ST-15 $60k
Hurco TM6i $62k
Focus FCL-200 $65k Taiwan clone
Samsung SL20E $70k
Campro CPL3510 $90k Taiwan clone
Romi Waiting for quote
Leadwell Waiting for quote
ACRA Waiting for quote

Right now I'm leaning towards the Haas. It is less than a Taiwanese clone which is surprising.
The Automate SL6 is a ZMAT machine and I've seen one in person and the owner had great things to say about it. But once you add the options it is quite close to a new Haas. At that point if you are in for a penny you are in for a dollar, so might as well grab the Haas/Hurco.

I'm looking to buy my first slant bed lathe CNC lathe. I reached out to many different vendors for quotes, which I have shared below.
I haven't made the decision yet, thought I would get this forums input.

My requirements are simple; 8" hydraulic chuck, coolant thru, tool probe, conveyor, parts catcher.
And lastly it has to have a controller that already has an post processor available on Fusion 360. I know all too well the headaches of getting a post programmed.

So here is the list;

Automate SL6 $54k
Haas ST-15 $60k
Hurco TM6i $62k
Focus FCL-200 $65k Taiwan clone
Samsung SL20E $70k
Campro CPL3510 $90k Taiwan clone
Romi Waiting for quote
Leadwell Waiting for quote
ACRA Waiting for quote

Right now I'm leaning towards the Haas. It is less than a Taiwanese clone which is surprising.
The Automate SL6 is a ZMAT machine and I've seen one in person and the owner had great things to say about it. But once you add the options it is quite close to a new Haas. At that point if you are in for a penny you are in for a dollar, so might as well grab the Haas/Hurco.

I would look at who has the best Service/Parts since Prices are all close.
I went with Haas even though I haven't had to use them on 2 machines in 2 years.

I'm assuming that the Automate is a Chinese machine (not Taiwan)?
I wouldn't worry about Taiwan (they're the biggest machine tool builders in the world) but I'd still be careful what Taiwan machine I'd consider.
As it's your first machine, I'd look to who can service you too, and provide spares for when it goes wrong or you crash.
Your side of the water - Haas has to be in the running for those reasons alone..

I totally agree that the Taiwan machines are great quality. Like anything from China/Taiwan, you can get very high quality stuff, but also there is cheap low quality stuff too. There are a dozen Dah Lih VMCs, at several different shops in my area, and everyone is very happy with them. Some are 15 years old running 2 shifts, with original spindle bearings! too bad Dah Lih doesn't make lathes. I'm told good things about Leadwell too.

My concern with the Taiwan machines is; how do I determine if it is a good Taiwan machine?

All of the dealers in my area seem to rebrand the machines under their own name. So now I have to evaluate the dealer, not just the machine.
With the bigger names, I could call up Hurco or Haas corporate if the dealer in the area screws around.

But if I get a Taiwan clone from a dealer here, what happens when they close shop/go out of business? who do I call for parts for a Campro/Z Mat/Taurus/Modern/Maxcut etc

How about Doosan or Hyundai/Wia? Both good Korean lathes and probably in your Haas/Hurco price range.

I'd take a look at Doosan.
I worked for them and they make a great entry priced slant bed lathe that has loads of torque, great features, and wonderful construction, service, and support.

We're quoting a similar lathe from Doosan for 60-80k (still deciding options). We bought a Doosan VMC from Ellison Tech. here in Houston a couple years ago and have been very pleased with the support and machine quality.

I'm always wary of China/Taiwan equipment but Doosan (based in Korea) makes very good equipment. IMO they're out of the "commodity" machine market and in legitimate machine tool manufacturing, which is a big deal because when it comes down to details, the builder is more likely to make a decision based on what makes the machine better, rather than what's the cheapest solution.

A point to consider is which will most likely still be in business in 10-15 years. If you plan on running the machine that long.

KIA/WIA was mentioned a few posts back...I have an SKT21LMS which more or less ticks all the boxes, and I actually quite like it as a machine tool.
Unfortunately, I have attempted to contact WIA for parts or service multiple times over the past year and have never received a response.
I would definitely lean towards HAAS, Hurco, and Doosan since they seem to have decent support (or at the very least they'll pick up the phone).

These machines can last 10-20 years easy, but only if you can get continuing parts and support for them.

Hyundai-Wia was another one we looked at when we bought our VMC and they were very nice machines. It was a close call for us that Doosan won mainly because they were a little more common and had more of a presence in the market. Having a machine that your friends are familiar with can be a big help as other users can give you their advise and support along with the OEM's support. Think about how many people have Haas machines. You can post about them on Facebook and get help.

One other thing to kick China/Taiwan about. From my experience, the "important stuff" like your spindle, control, ways, etc. can be first-class, but when manufacturers cut corners, they tend to do so with the less important stuff, like seals, sheet-metal, wire, and air tubing. And while this stuff is comparatively less important, it can still be the difference if your machine is making chips or not, and even if it's running, it's a big PITA to have to be duct-taping your machine back together and chasing air leaks.

Good Lord, I'm assuming you're financing...just get a real Lathe and worry no more. You're shopping in discount bucket.

R

Yamazen sent me an email a couple of weeks ago. They had a few Takisawa lathes on special. Don't know how your being in Canada affects that, or if they are gone.....
Takisawa has been as close to perfect for my purposes as I could hope for, and Yamazen in my area is the gold standard. Box way machines, btw.....

I just got a ST15 a month ago and have been happy with it ,, just doing small parts but it seems to have plenty of balls for what I am doing .. the big upside for me is the control,,, last lathe was Fanuc and I hated that control ..

If your going to be doing a lot of tailstock work you might look at the next size up ,,, the tailstock on the ST15 is not the best setup but for the small long parts I have been doing it works ok ...

Hi D.D.Machine:
Not to totally derail this thread , but weren't you the guy who had a shit-miserable experience with a Haas VMC not that long ago in 2016 when the Next Gen control first came out?

What made you go back to Haas?
Has everything been uneventful since then?
Are you satisfied they have all the bugs out of the Next Gen control now?

I vaguely recall you ended up trading in the Haas, bought a Doosan and were much happier with that machine.
Given that history I'm surprised you took the chance on another new Haas.

BTW, I hate the Fanuc control on my lathe too, and I've fantasized about hauling it out to the curb more than once, but it's a great little lathe otherwise so I've learned to live with it.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back