What's new
What's new

Buying My First (USED) CNC Machine (ADVICE NEEDED)

Tkilian

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I'm a young guy trying to break into machining more and I have finally decided to pursue a Vertical Mill Machining Center. Since I'm new and trying to learn, I'm going for older machines (20+ years) so I don't break the bank. I've been looking at machines with spindles that have <10HP and max RPM 8,000 or less. I realize these specs are at the bottom of the spectrum for machines but I'm starting off with mostly small prototyping. I'm really looking for just a rigid and repeatable machine.
I'm expecting to find a machine like this in the range of $8,000 - $10,000. Am I far off with that assumption?

I've received some advice about going for a HAAS TM1 or Fadal machines in this age range because you can find parts easily for them. I've also been told their control systems are pretty robust. Is this true, are these machines worth it for the price range I'm looking at?

Lastly, does any one have any advice about going after older Milltronics machines? There's a late 90's VM16 I'm looking at with 7HP, 6000 rpm spindle. Has the Centurion 6 control system but I'd like to see if anyone can attest to its dependability this far in its life. Seems to be going for around $7,000, would this machine be worth it at that price? I know the machine was still running when it was decommissioned, it had the same owner for its entire life and he took care of it well from what I hear.

Thanks in advance.
-TK

I think you're on the right track...Haas, Fadal, and Milltronics are all well supported. I've used all three and would rank them as follows:

1. Fadal - many, many of these sold, very well supported with parts, documentation, post processors, and forum threads.
2. Haas - easiest control, lots of info on them, but older control is no longer supported.
3. Milltronics - well supported, slightly quirky control, but well built.

I think the number on thing to look for is a machine that was well taken care of and has low (lower) hours. Do a search on this site for plenty more info on any of the above :)

I think you're on the right track...Haas, Fadal, and Milltronics are all well supported. I've used all three and would rank them as follows:

1. Fadal - many, many of these sold, very well supported with parts, documentation, post processors, and forum threads.
2. Haas - easiest control, lots of info on them, but older control is no longer supported.
3. Milltronics - well supported, slightly quirky control, but well built.

I think the number on thing to look for is a machine that was well taken care of and has low (lower) hours. Do a search on this site for plenty more info on any of the above :)

Thank you, very helpful to know!

I've received some advice about going for a HAAS TM1 or Fadal machines in this age range because you can find parts easily for them.

If it were me, just starting out and on a budget, I'd be looking at nothing other than a used Haas. Only because I don't like Fadal.

OP, if youre looking for a smallish, affordable, WELL SUPPORTED machine... Id look into a Fadal VMC-15 or 2216.
I can have new control boards, spindle, or whatever I need by tomorrow morning. And it wont break the bank.

The older Haas controls are no longer supported, however some companies are offering rebuild services now.

Admittedly, Im a Fadal lover (cant afford a Makino with SGI)

I have a Fadal. A 3016. IMO it's a great machine to start with. They can be had super cheap and need some love or a little nicer for a little more money. You can definitely find something in your budget. Just don't leave out some holders, tools, 1-2 vises, etc. Ancillary stuff can add up. That being said, you can always buy that stuff as you need it. No matter what machine you buy, you'll need at least prob 1500-2k to get it moved and set in place, plus make sure you have power, etc. My Fadal is a 15hp 10k spindle and happily runs on a 15hp RPC.

A Haas Mini or TM would prob work well for you, but they always seem to command a premium. I don't think I ever see them sell in your price range.

Back