What's new
What's new

"C Language Executor"

Google Tulip Electronics for memory upgrades.

The C programming allows a machine builder to create a custom U/I on either or both the CNC and PMC side of the control. Amada has one of the most impressive applications of that capability on their EM model punches. Makino have a great example of the C programming for the PMC side of the control.

External host for foreign target compilation? Embedded Compiler, Pre-compiler? JIT compiler?, On-the-fly compiler? Translator, even? Or just wot?

"C" source ain't exactly noted for being directly executable, certainly not CPU-irrelevant.

Mind ..hard to try to be righteous as to throwing rocks at C off the keyboard of an nth-generation *BSD, following first "workable" slackware and/or Slowlaris, Jack Purdum's Eco-Soft C losing its ass on performance to Ray Duncan's LMI forth+native-code compiler... etc.. even before that on my shoestring-budget (well - they were THEN..) workstations, but still.

That brochure was 1999 or so, Win 2000 is nearly 20 years out of date, and there's easily a dozen languages I'd rather work in for motion control... starting with "whatever" the primary one used by any given maker was, ASM or machine-code included, whether I liked it or never.

Just easier to adapt and go make chip than to f**k-about suffering the PITA of compiler-Hell, version-Hell, and lib-hell wars ever-so characteristic of C, always, ever, and ongoing. Let alone nearly 20 years on.

Or had your forgotten that hate-to-love it. love-to-hate-it, or pragmatically JF tolerate it part about "C"?

:(

External host for foreign target compilation? Embedded Compiler, Pre-compiler? JIT compiler?, On-the-fly compiler? Translator, even? Or just wot?

"C" source ain't exactly noted for being directly executable, certainly not CPU-irrelevant.

Mind ..hard to try to be righteous as to throwing rocks at C off the keyboard of an nth-generation *BSD, following first "workable" slackware and/or Slowlaris, Jack Purdum's Eco-Soft C losing its ass on performance to Ray Duncan's LMI forth+native-code compiler... etc.. even before that on my shoestring-budget (well - they were THEN..) workstations, but still.

That brochure was 1999 or so, Win 2000 is nearly 20 years out of date, and there's easily a dozen languages I'd rather work in for motion control... starting with "whatever" the primary one used by any given maker was, ASM or machine-code included, whether I liked it or never.

Just easier to adapt and go make chip than to f**k-about suffering the PITA of compiler-Hell, version-Hell, and lib-hell wars ever-so characteristic of C, always, ever, and ongoing. Let alone nearly 20 years on.

Or had your forgotten that hate-to-love it. love-to-hate-it, or pragmatically JF tolerate it part about "C"?

Oh, I remember. I remember my job coding operating routines for pneumatic engines on embedded Motorola chips using C and assembler (CodeWarrior platform). That was exhausting. :)

It's just I operate a Fanuc 21i. I like fiddling with code if it's not "eight hours a day 40 hours a week plus overtime of constantly and only finding solutions to more or less abstract problems." I was interested in the embedded macro options.

Oh, I remember. I remember my job coding operating routines for pneumatic engines on embedded Motorola chips using C and assembler (CodeWarrior platform). That was exhausting. :)

Instant-gratification p***y!

You'd have LOVED a row of paddle-switches, grouped in threes, set and single-stepped in Octal as a HUGE improvement over diode plug boards, soldering iron, or wire-wrap tools.

53 steps, IIRC, and a "value for money" 600 Kilo Herz clocked General Automation SPC-12 could then read punched paper tape off the ASR-33, into its "maxed out" 8 K of Dr. Wang's very useful "non volatile" cleverly pierced little magnetic toroids.

An economic embarrassment to Missus Varian Data's costly 520i and 620i in the next room, those "cheaper-than" GA SPC-12's and SPC-16's were.

But only briefly. Time does march on, eh?

:)

Instant-gratification p***y!

You'd have LOVED a row of paddle-switches, grouped in threes, set and single-stepped in Octal as a HUGE improvement over diode plug boards, soldering iron, or wire-wrap tools.

53 steps, IIRC, and a "value for money" 600 Kilo Herz clocked General Automation SPC-12 could then read punched paper tape off the ASR-33, into its "maxed out" 8 K of Dr. Wang's very useful "non volatile" cleverly pierced little magnetic toroids.

An economic embarrassment to Missus Varian Data's costly 520i and 620i in the next room, those "cheaper-than" GA SPC-12's and SPC-16's were.

But only briefly. Time does march on, eh?

Yeah, well, you got me there. :)

Thermite,
You are officially one of the oldest computer geeks I know. Much of what you speak must make no sense to many.
Can we somehow download your brain onto the net before you pass? Perhaps the best to hope is that your posts live forever to be puzzled over.
Bob

Thermite,
You are officially one of the oldest computer geeks I know. Much of what you speak must make no sense to many.
Can we somehow download your brain onto the net before you pass? Perhaps the best to hope is that your posts live forever to be puzzled over.
Bob

LOL! Chuck Moore, vintage 1938, McKeesport, PA to my 1945 Northside, Pgh was still above-ground, last I looked. ISTR his National Merit Scholarship was clocked in his senior year of HS. Mine was in tenth-grade, so I wasn't yet up to speed. never did catch up to Chuck on 'puters. Might beat him on nightime VFR, short field over-obstacle landings, no field lights though. Never saw the point in practicing the EASY ones.

Too MUCH in the record, and long-since.

ISTR there were 58,000 posts on SMTP mail server anti-spam technique folder alone, top half-dozen or so MTA, too DAMNED high a percentage of them my own ones! Why is PM not surprised?

Then there had been hands-on MIM-14B, AN/GSA-51. AN/FSQ-7...IBM 701, (cousins, actually, those last two..) OSI-Challenger, S-100 geek-among-many, forth, CP/M thru MP/M and CCP/M to DRDOS, Flex, Netwire, DECUS, IBM OS/2, virtualizers, Slackware, coupla *BSD's...

Well.... if a body started with a salvaged ASR-33 and a cable address before even Compuserve or GEISCO?

Long years I had IS/IT staff, even global responsibility, just not my prime directive.

Otherwise it has only been one interesting avocation among several, not what primarily paid the bills.

Not "dead" just yet. Next bare-metal binary install of OpenBSD? I'm shooting to get down to 60 wall-clock seconds to full-function customized fvwm-2 GUI onto pre-partitioned and newfs'ed SSD media.

Eat yer hearts out, slowly, oh ye worm-fodder MicroSoft'ies, willing containerships for malware.

:D

Far too much of my noise is out there somewhere already, so I'd REALLY rather play with old iron at this late stage in life.

If only I could still LIFT a G-D vise, anyway...

I read this brochure. I got curious.

https://www.cnc1.com/hubfs/fanuc-library/Fanuc_Series_16i_18i_21i_Model_B.pdf

"Machine tool customization: C language executor, embedded macro, etc."

So I know C. Been years since I coded C and assembler for a job but no matter. Let me in?!

Also, can you expand the memory on a Fanuc control board easily?

Depends on what memory is *actually* installed in your controller, and how far you want to go. On the machines we build/sell, up to 4MB is "easy", 8MB requires a physical upgrade. And the vintage of the controller matters. From what I have been told, (I'm relatively new to programming Fanuc systems), older controllers (I think still including early 31/32i series, but don't quote me!) can probably be found online, but newer controllers you HAVE to get a Fanuc option from your local Fanuc guy.

Depending on exactly what kind of machine you use, you might be looking at an SRAM parameter in the PMC, which likely will be easier, but that will be dependent on who coded the PMC. Our machines have a system using a proprietary language, and we can expand the program memory for that from 64kB to 192kB easily. (average program size is about 3kB) It could probably go bigger, but the guys that set it up, sandwiched that partition in the middle of 2 criticals, and they have no interest in remapping it to the end, where we could offer more memory.

Back