What's new
What's new

Fanuc 20-FA Alarm 1002 - Way Lube Pump Overload

jaykohens

Plastic
I feel like I already know the answer to this one, I just don't want to believe it because I'm sure it'll be expensive. :angry:

Had a tech in to work on our mill on Friday, and after he left we started getting alarm 1002 - Way Lube Pump Overload. Entirely possible, and probable, since it's an old machine, that his visit and this alarm are unrelated. Not as concerned with that as I am with fixing it.

We've tried standard troubleshooting - turning on/off the control, turning on/off the mill, pressing misc buttons on the way lube pump(lol), and jiggling wires around(lol again). We've had some success with this, the mill starts back up and can run for a short while before alarming out again but obviously we can't run production like this.

I don't want to have to call this tech back in just to insinuate that he made a mistake here and broke our machine, also need it back up and running asap anyway.

Any thoughts/input on this alarm and a fix short of buying a new pump would be greatly appreciated

That alarm is a tool builder generated alarm, not a Fanuc alarm. You need to check how many amps the lube pump motor is drawing. The message is being generated because it is tripping the thermal overload on the bottom of the motor starter. Some are adjustable and some have a reset button. Others you just need to let them set for a while until the mercury or whatever is heating up cools back down in the overload.

You could have a bad motor or a lube line broken and the motor is just running too long. Most CNC machines fire the lube pump when e-stop is cleared. Clear e-stop and observe how long the pump runs. Check the lines for leaks or excessive oil coming from one area of the machine. Not sure what machine this is but if a check valve in one of the lube distribution blocks is stuck open the pressure will not build and the oil will run freely from that area of the machine.

Daryl

I feel like I already know the answer to this one, I just don't want to believe it because I'm sure it'll be expensive. :angry:

Had a tech in to work on our mill on Friday, and after he left we started getting alarm 1002 - Way Lube Pump Overload. Entirely possible, and probable, since it's an old machine, that his visit and this alarm are unrelated. Not as concerned with that as I am with fixing it.

We've tried standard troubleshooting - turning on/off the control, turning on/off the mill, pressing misc buttons on the way lube pump(lol), and jiggling wires around(lol again). We've had some success with this, the mill starts back up and can run for a short while before alarming out again but obviously we can't run production like this.

I don't want to have to call this tech back in just to insinuate that he made a mistake here and broke our machine, also need it back up and running asap anyway.

Any thoughts/input on this alarm and a fix short of buying a new pump would be greatly appreciated

I would be checking the electrical cabinet. It is very likely that the overload for the lube pump is tripped or switched off.

I would also be checking the fuses that feed the pump motor starter and overload as a blown fuse will cause the overload to trip.

Do you have a pressure gage? If not get one. Does the pump come up to pressure? Does it hold pressure for the correct amount of time? Does the pump overload immediately?

I had to replace my lube unit last Christmas. I had a winding go out on the motor. It would intermitently overload so I took the cover off and figured the problem out. When the motor was supposed to start it would spin a few times and slowly stop, then the overload would trip and the machine would alarm out. Next I tried spinning the motor with a screwgun when it tried to start and it worked fine once up to speed. So I marked the end of the shaft with a sharpie and figured out where in the rotation the motor would start and where it would not start. Kitamura free phone tech said it sounded like a bad winding. I had to check where the motor was every 14 minutes while running the machine while waiting for the new lube unit to arrive but at least I could keep it running.

Don't want to take the time to learn how your lube pump works and is integrated into the mill and control then call your tech back. It isn't rocket science but it does take some time to figure it out.

Back