What's new
What's new

Calibrating Digital Calipers

Flash Gordon

Aluminum
I have three sets of Mitutoyo digital calipers, a 4", a 6" and a 12".
The 12" seems to be the most accurate and the 4" the least accurate.
The 4" consistently reads .0015 less than the actual dimension.
Is there a way to correct that?
Sorry in advance for the stupid question!

If it’s consistently less by .0015” and it’s an absolute model just reset the absolute position to account for it. Yes your zero May be off but then all real measurements will be correct

Check the jaw parallelism. Quick and dirty method is to close the jaws and hold it up to the light looking for a gap. The two setscrews on the top are for adjusting parallelism and drag. The front screw is pointed and fits into a hole in the brass gib so it can't fall out.
Look for a bent tip too, not uncommon and easily stoned away.

Does not zero right or does not calibrate right?
Tried to set zero on a pin/block rather than just being closed?
Measuring with the tips or inside a tad or a bunch?
What is really funny is those who mix ID and OD zeros and checks and hope for good.
You can not change calibrate, you can change how zero is set.
Making round parts and using nice flat gauge blocks for zero with calipers is another mistake so often done.\
So many will say the gib is loose. Snug it up a bit. This may help bit not real high odds here.
Bob

AAHHH where's Gordon B Clarke when you need him.
(For those who have no idea what I'm babbling about, Mr Clarke made a name for himself on this forum several years ago.
He moderated the metrology forum for a time and made a ton of enemies there.
His claim to fame was calipers and thread measuring; he sold a caliper attachment for that purpose)

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Check the jaw parallelism. Quick and dirty method is to close the jaws and hold it up to the light looking for a gap. The two setscrews on the top are for adjusting parallelism and drag. The front screw is pointed and fits into a hole in the brass gib so it can't fall out.
Look for a bent tip too, not uncommon and easily stoned away.
I have a older mit 196-20 pair that are out of parallel. Touch at the tips and gap toward the head. What direction would I turn the gib screws to correct?

Back