CAMWorks to HSM/Express?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CAMWorks to HSM/Express?

Anyone switch from CAMWorks to HSMExpress (or full HSM for that matter). I run SolidWorks. Can't use Fusion 360 for various reasons.

I am seriously considering making the move as I am pretty tired of CAMWorks (I've been using it since 2008/9). When a vendor ships you a product that calls for something like 200 ipm for a 1/8 end mill, full slot cut at 1/8 in depth...and that's just one example of the nonsense...well, eventually that shit cost you money, sometimes lots of it. Back in the early days I had at least one Z crash (thankfully into machinable wax) attributable to CAMWorks.

I know there is no utopia when it comes to CAM. I'm just sick of throwing thousands of dollars at products to end-up with nonsense that should just not exist in this day and age. I mean, I use GWizard calculator and can pretty much trust the numbers it gives me without much concern, particularly if I don't run it in "Aggressive" mode. Why can't these massive companies not handle speeds, feeds and tool selection? My guess is that they just don't know what they are doing, they bought their CAM software from someone and nobody wants to spend a year cleaning-up and fixing the tool database. <end of rant>

The typical comeback is: Well, once you setup the database it does OK.

I did not setup the database in Gwizard calculator and it does OK.

The difference is I paid thousands of dollars for CAMWorks and paid them thousands of dollars per year for maintenance. I mean, c'mon.

Oh, yes, and they want thousands of dollars more for high speed machining as well as a boost in annual maintenance fees. Nuts.

Thanks,

-Martin

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've tried almost all of the SolidWorks embedded CAM over the years and nothing touches HSMWorks for workflow efficiency and a seamless integration with SolidWorks. HSMXpress is the the best deal out there (free) when you are talking 2.5axis CAM for SolidWorks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes.

I have off-subscription CAMworks, but I use HSMexpress. It is much faster and easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    Yes.

I have off-subscription CAMworks, but I use HSMexpress. It is much faster and easier.
    Yes, I have not paid them the maintenance fee since 2018. They haven't done anything worth my money in years. The amount of money I've paid them since 2008 vs. what I get from the software is, well, obscene.

I'm happy to pay $500 per year for the full Fusion360 suite, which includes HSMWorks (even though HSMexpress is free). I have a prototype to finish during the next week or so. After that I am going to devote a week to go through HSMExpress tutorials and get started switching away from CAMworks. Looking forward to disabling the extension forever.

Any good tutorial series on HSMExpress/HSMWorks on YouTube? It looks like the in-Solidworks tutorials HSMexpress comes with are a pretty good starting point.

How about Haas posts and post editors to customize them? That's another thing that's a minor nightmare with CAMworks. I spent more time than I care to admit with UPG and EC Edit.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post
    I've tried almost all of the SolidWorks embedded CAM over the years and nothing touches HSMWorks for workflow efficiency and a seamless integration with SolidWorks. HSMXpress is the the best deal out there (free) when you are talking 2.5axis CAM for SolidWorks.
    That's good to know. I'll start my transition in a couple of week. Looking forward to abandoning CAMWorks...tens of thousands of dollars flushed down the toilet since 2008.

-Martin

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can confirm almost all said.

One reason I went back into subscription was the wish to use CAMworks.
    Bad move..

After some half a year of fiddling arround with it, I discovered hsmworks..

Using hsmexpress now and I like it very much so far.. Good integration, fast, easy to learn and work, and quite powerfull..

Now Im gettibg more into surfacing and consider getting a Fusion subscription, as then you also get full hsmworks..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started using hsmworks/solidworks about 10 years ago. Migrated to Autodesk InventorHSM after Autodesk bought Hsmworks. There's been a lot of good/bad buggy stuff depending on the year and version. Crashes a lot on various platforms. They will fix one bug and screw up something else. They seem to let the end users do all the r&d testing, and chase down "bug reports". Word on the street is they are going to phase out InventorHSM and HSMworks and only offer cloud based Fusion. My reseller tried to convince me how much better it would be. But fusion can not handle large assemblies. So at some point I'll have to have separate CAD/Cam packages. So much for cad cam integration.

It is easy and quick to use when you figure out how to work around bugs/crashing. We started with "perpetual license at $ 10k each + maintenance, then they dropped that to offer 2k a year per seat , then they change the name, and now 2020 seems to have so many issues, I'm sticking with 2019 for as long as I can, because at least I know what I'm working with. The future of all software seems to be cloud based, so someone else will store your proprietary designs, and working off line won't be an option. Welcome to "Progress".

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What issues do you have with hsmworks 2020?

Im thinking on upgrading...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't had any because i never upgraded after reading posts on the support forum. I know what I have now and don't have the time for a new "learning curve" for what works and doesn't work on the latest release.
    You can checkout the Inventorcam support forum for more info.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use hsm works and I think it’s great. I like it alot better than mastercam for 3 axis work. Only bug I found so far is that if you use hole wizard sometimes the cam will take forever recognizing the holes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use HSMXpress. Came free with Solidworks, haven't had many issues with it. Haven't really tried any other CAM offerings.

Posts are JavaScript-based, there's a manual for editing. Made some minor edits to my post (standard Haas pre-NGC from Autodesk), wasn't too difficult. Haven't taken the time to truly tweak the post to my preferred coding style though, or to make a good tooling library.

My use case is probably rare; most often use HSMXpress for the 2D adaptive strategies and for chamfering a tricky contour, then paste the result into my program file and code the rest by cutting and pasting from previous files and writing code by hand. Most parts are prismatic, relatively easy to do this way. Also make our own parts, so don't write new code all that often.