What's new
What's new

Can anyone identify this hydraulic actuator?

rootboy

Plastic
Hi guys,

We got the old Takamatsu up and running again, but the hydraulic chuck has a travel of only about .02" and it doesn't grip the workpiece tight enough to hold it in place while machining.

There are no markings that we can see on the actuator, does anyone recognize it? And does anyone have any ideas as to how we would "re-tune" the draw bar?

Thanks!

John1101.jpg1103.jpg

I apologize if you are way past this level, but not knowing your experience level my comments are kind of basic, and not an answer to the identity question you asked.
Hydraulic chucks don’t move much. More than .02 yes, but still frustratingly little. You move the jaws in or out.
Before messing with the actuator, remove the chuck and disassemble and clean. You may just have chips compacted I’m the slide.
The actuator is a simple hydraulic cylinder. About the only thing on that end that would limit drawbar travel is a rusted shaft. Could be if it sat a long time.
I hope someone with more experience can help.

No offense taken. :)

I'm an old controls engineer who is sitting out 2020 and needed something to do. So we upgraded the Taka and controls-wise it's ready to go. Basically, Thurston makes chips, and I work on them. :)

Thurston (the owner of the Taka) isn't much of an online guy so I'm asking for him. There are adjustments that can be made at the actuator end, but what they would be I have no clue.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking into the chuck end, I was wondering if it could be a bit loose there and causing the problem.

But if anyone can identify this actuator that would be a big help.

It may be that there are chips packed in behind the drawbar at the chuck end, preventing the drawbar from moving its full travel. If there is corrosion between the length of the drawbar and spindle ID that may also be an issue. Pull the drawbar and clean it as well as the chuck. Sorry- no idea on the mfg of the cylinder. What make is the chuck? Many times they are made by the same company.

True they don't move much, but .02 seems way too low, off the top off my head I think the one I have moves about .100. As said above I would disassemble and clean. How is the hydraulic pressure? On mine if the pressure is turned down to almost nothing it won't make the full range of motion.

Actuators will generally move about a 3/16-1/4 inch.
Most of the problems with chucks not closing are but not limited too.

Pack chips, the drawbar not screwed completely into the chuck.
only way to check your machine out is to take off chuck. then activate the drawbar both ways. if that doesnt move much then tear out the drawtube as it may be packed with ships itself around the o.d. of it.
some drawbars will screw out of the actuator over time. but you will still have full movement of the drawbar.

most movement issues on the chuck are due to packed chips or its not screwed into drawbar all the way.

even a wore out actuator will move full back and forth if there is nothing blocking its path Ie chips)

Back