What's new
What's new

Can Dynapath Delta 10 be ran through fusion 360?

Hey guys, I am brand new to the cnc world and have looked throughout the forums but Im still coming up short on what is needed to send a program from fusion. I bought a Clausing Kondia FV-1 and have done some small jobs using conversational, I run a small machine/fab shop on the machining side Im adequate but mainly do repair work for local farmers,contractors, a steel processing plant and a few other customers. I found the fv-1 for a decent price and it runs flawlessly. I wont say Ive gotten extremly comfortable making parts through conversational but have made quite a few parts on it already and Im really impressed with how powerful the program is but I really want to get into more detailed jobs and be able to model up parts before hand. I read a thread on the forum a couple days ago about upgrading the processor to a dynapath 20 but also read conflicting stories about guys running dynapath 10 with fusion 360. There are a couple parts I have modeled up in fusion and I would love to bring them to life if anyone can give me any input it would be very appreciated. I apologize for my ignorance hopefully I will be somewhat adequate in the cnc world eventually. Do not be afraid to talk to me like a child or offend me I have thick skin and will take any help I can get LOL

Yes Fusion will make code for the Dynapath Delta 10 just fine. There is a sample Dynapath post available that might be OK the way it is. I modified it to work for a VMC with a Delta 20 control with the help of the folks at the Adesk HSM code generator forum. That's the place to go to start with. Every machine builder implemented the control with slightly different configurations, don't be disappointed if the post needs a few changes, that's an integral part of the CNC game.
I ~think~ the Delta 10 does not do dripfeeding through the serial port, that's where the biggest difference between the 10 and 20 is. That just means you have to keep the size of your program under the limit of your control's internal memory.

HSM Post Processor Forum - Autodesk Community

I ~think~ the Delta 10 does not do dripfeeding through the serial port, that's where the biggest difference between the 10 and 20 is. That just means you have to keep the size of your program under the limit of your control's internal memory.
If that turns out to be a major hindrance, you can go with a reader-emulator or "btr" - behind the tape reader.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this site is a wealth of knowledge its really amazing. Like previously stated I am clueless to this side of machining I purchased a true null modem cable and am waiting for it in the mail. I have a couple small models I have drawn up on fusion and transferred it to cam and set toolpaths my next question is What is the next step lol Im hearing about 30 diffrent ways to get the cam to the mill but not a direct answer and feel a little overwhelmed and understudied or over maybe both 😬 Once I click NC program in fusion and make the post is that when I would have to use a dnc program such as hyperterminal or nclite to send it via rs232? I probably sound like a moron but Im trying to learn! Again thanks for your help. Also I have looked into upgrading to dynapath delta 20 and feel confident in making the change it appears it would only cost a few hundred dollars but I still would like to transfer to my dynapath 10 for the time being.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this site is a wealth of knowledge its really amazing. Like previously stated I am clueless to this side of machining I purchased a true null modem cable and am waiting for it in the mail. I have a couple small models I have drawn up on fusion and transferred it to cam and set toolpaths my next question is What is the next step lol Im hearing about 30 diffrent ways to get the cam to the mill but not a direct answer and feel a little overwhelmed and understudied or over maybe both 😬 Once I click NC program in fusion and make the post is that when I would have to use a dnc program such as hyperterminal or nclite to send it via rs232? I probably sound like a moron but Im trying to learn! Again thanks for your help. Also I have looked into upgrading to dynapath delta 20 and feel confident in making the change it appears it would only cost a few hundred dollars but I still would like to transfer to my dynapath 10 for the time being.

I had a compumill with a dynapath 10. I used bobcad and dnc4u. Fusion has a built in editor or you can choose your own. I’m not sure if the fusion editor sends programs ? DNC4U is my favorite it seems to work with any machine very easily. Bobcad posted out in event format. I’d get the serial cable working and send some programs you made on the control back to the pc. I don’t think the dynapath runs on g code? Maybe the newer ones did. I still have the Bobcad and the post. If you need a sample program let me know.

One additional note. Be careful when using the generic Dynapath post on Fusion. It can do some erratic things on the control. Carefully test your programs when debugging the post.

I had a compumill with a dynapath 10. I used bobcad and dnc4u. Fusion has a built in editor or you can choose your own. I’m not sure if the fusion editor sends programs ? DNC4U is my favorite it seems to work with any machine very easily. Bobcad posted out in event format. I’d get the serial cable working and send some programs you made on the control back to the pc. I don’t think the dynapath runs on g code? Maybe the newer ones did. I still have the Bobcad and the post. If you need a sample program let me know.

If you have the time to send me a sample program it would be greatly appreciated! I have the cable in and found that my pc uses com4 for the serial however Im not sure if I should have handshake set to hardware,both or none along with my parity settings and bit settings as well. I will have to tinker with it and hopefully I can get some form of communication

A little update after messing around with things I finally got the mill to communicate with my pc. I bought a rs232 cable along with a null modem adapter and a db9 to usb adapter. After tinkering with it for about 2hrs messing with the settings in my dnc program (NCLite) I was running out of options to get it to work so I figured lets try and simplify things first thing I did was removed the null modem adapter and ran the rs232 straight to the usb adapter and recorded a program to my pc throught a .txt file and it worked! Next was loading a program of a model I created in fusion which I saved in a .txt file and then transmitted to the mill through NCLite and while it did load into the cnc, the code created in cam by fusion did not cooperate with the programming so while Im not back to square one I still have alot of learning to do. I dont want to sound lazy but in a perfect world shouldnt I be able to create a model in cad, run it through cam doing all my toolpaths and then create a "NC" (post if thats what its called) saved through a .txt file and then upload via DNC? Im normally a pretty fast learner with a decent amount of patience but these past couple days trying to get up to speed have been testing my limits lol

Ok, while I am not an expert on this stuff I think you are maybe not understanding the flow of what is happening when you are working. Here is my simple take on Fusion 360 workflow.

First you will create a solid model in Fusion (or Solidworks..etc). This has NOTHING to do with the CNC machine or anything else to be honest. It's a stand alone creation.

Then you go into Fusion's CAM environment (or any CAM software). You take your solid model and create CAM toolpaths and information. Feeds, Speeds, tools, etc. This still has NOTHING to do with your CNC mill.

At this point you need to translate all this information into a language your CNC can understand. You do this by Post Processing your CAM information. They call this Posting and it uses a Post to translate. I know, confusing. This takes all your information and makes a text file out of it using your selected post processor.

The result is a file of text G-Code. THIS is what you need to send to the CNC mill using a serial or whatever. This is what the CNC will use as instructions. It's a simple text file you can open in any text editor. It's only as good as the post processor hence people saying you might need to tweak it. The translation might not be spot on. If it's huge you will need to drip feed it using your communication program.

If there is other weird things about this controller where it is conversational only so only works with models or something then I apologize for giving you the basic "this is how a CNC works" lesson and you can ignore my post. Hope this helps.

Ok, while I am not an expert on this stuff I think you are maybe not understanding the flow of what is happening when you are working. Here is my simple take on Fusion 360 workflow.

First you will create a solid model in Fusion (or Solidworks..etc). This has NOTHING to do with the CNC machine or anything else to be honest. It's a stand alone creation.

Then you go into Fusion's CAM environment (or any CAM software). You take your solid model and create CAM toolpaths and information. Feeds, Speeds, tools, etc. This still has NOTHING to do with your CNC mill.

At this point you need to translate all this information into a language your CNC can understand. You do this by Post Processing your CAM information. They call this Posting and it uses a Post to translate. I know, confusing. This takes all your information and makes a text file out of it using your selected post processor.

The result is a file of text G-Code. THIS is what you need to send to the CNC mill using a serial or whatever. This is what the CNC will use as instructions. It's a simple text file you can open in any text editor. It's only as good as the post processor hence people saying you might need to tweak it. The translation might not be spot on. If it's huge you will need to drip feed it using your communication program.

If there is other weird things about this controller where it is conversational only so only works with models or something then I apologize for giving you the basic "this is how a CNC works" lesson and you can ignore my post. Hope this helps.

I had a good understanding however I appreciate you simplifying it for me! I suppose my wording/terminology is off which leads to me not quite getting out what Im trying to say. I have made a post but I dont think it has been "translated" properly and my mill doesnt know what the code is trying to say lol I will look around for a decent sample program to upload that has been proven to work and go from there. Hopefully I will find a way for it to be translated without too much tweaking involved. Thanks again!

Back