What's new
What's new

Can a Fadal 4020 be run on Delta 3 phase

garychipmaker

Cast Iron
I have Delta 3 phase in my shop it's the type with the WILD leg Can a CNC be run on it I understand that you would have to make sure the control part isn't connected to the wild leg Thanks

Yup - running 240 Delta 3ph with mine (actual 246-247v and wild leg to ground is 216v)... if I remember right the wild leg is on the center tap of the disconnect box. Dont remember the jumper settings on the transformer though... just followed the labeling and verified with a volt meter - (I think it was at the spindle drive line in maybe?)

I think I chased wires to make sure that the wild leg didnt end up on the control side. So far in the few machines Ive worked with (Fadal, Okuma, and Mits WireEDM) it seems that center tap is usually where the wild leg ends up. But that may just be coincidence.

Even if the machine is tagged 220V it likely has a multitap capability inside. Look at the transformer and the schematic on the inside door. Know that the schematic is for what was originally shipped with the machine and that may be different than what is actually in the machine as these can be replaced.

Unless something in the machine is running something off of one phase to ground (nominally 110V), it can't tell the difference between the two flavors of 3 phase. Well, other than one will be 220 - 240 and the other 208 for your transformer taps. The "wild leg" only looks wild in reference to ground, referenced to the other legs it looks completely normal. If the machine has 4 wires going to it (L1, L2, L3, and green ground) then you are safe unless it is wired wrong. If it has 5 wires going to it (L1, L2, L3, green ground, and current carrying ground - often white) - then I'd be real careful which leg I hooked to the wild leg.

Back