Can I get a Renishaw Wireless Probe for my Centroid Controller?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can I get a Renishaw Wireless Probe for my Centroid Controller?

I have a Centroid M400 controller with a DP-4 probe. It is a mechanical contact probe with an open-collector output. It died and I can get it repaired, but would really like a wireless probe. Centroid does not offer a wireless probe at this time.

Does anyone know if Renishaw has a wireless solution that would work for me? I poked around online and did not see what I was looking for and they are closed for the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont see why not. You'll need the adaptation box from renishaw between the wireless reciever and machine interface, but all its doing is opening\closing a contact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    I dont see why not. You'll need the adaptation box from renishaw between the wireless reciever and machine interface, but all its doing is opening\closing a contact.
    Any idea what a setup like that costs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look on eBay for the Haas specific Renishaw OMP40 probe and receiver. The Haas ones are dumbed down, basically the receiver takes power and gives you a switch closure on contact. There are a lot of these around, I've bought the whole setup looked like new in the box for $1000 - $1500 a couple of times. The non-Haas receive has some other lines that need to be manipulated, harder to adapt to a control that isn't set up for it.

5. Likes macds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swaft rat is correct.
    I have know idea what sort of i\o the centroid is looking for PRECISELY, but would guess the Haas setup should work.

As opposed to asking Renishaw, I'd search what other Centroid users have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swarf_rat View Post
    Look on eBay for the Haas specific Renishaw OMP40 probe and receiver. The Haas ones are dumbed down, basically the receiver takes power and gives you a switch closure on contact. There are a lot of these around, I've bought the whole setup looked like new in the box for $1000 - $1500 a couple of times. The non-Haas receive has some other lines that need to be manipulated, harder to adapt to a control that isn't set up for it.
    Haas specific receiver (OMI-2H) is a downgraded OMI-2T. Both receivers can control 2 probes (mostly OMP40-2/OMP60 and OTS). OMI-2T , contrary to OMI-2H, is equipped with LOW BATTERY and ERROR outputs, as well as additional outputs of SKIP. There in no necessity to manipulate them, if you don't need them. Simply leave them as they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like I will be staying with what I got for now. Supposedly Centroid will have a wireless option at some point.

I am not comfortable with the connectivity of the Renishaw to the Centroid. The Centroid uses an open collector input and the Renishaw output uses a solid state relay. Usually they are not compatible. And the Renishaw needs an output from the PLC to enable it - doable but more involved than what I want to put into it right now. And I would need to convert it from 12VDC to 24VDC.