What's new
What's new

Can I get a Renishaw Wireless Probe for my Centroid Controller?

markz528

Hot Rolled
I have a Centroid M400 controller with a DP-4 probe. It is a mechanical contact probe with an open-collector output. It died and I can get it repaired, but would really like a wireless probe. Centroid does not offer a wireless probe at this time.

Does anyone know if Renishaw has a wireless solution that would work for me? I poked around online and did not see what I was looking for and they are closed for the weekend.

I dont see why not. You'll need the adaptation box from renishaw between the wireless reciever and machine interface, but all its doing is opening\closing a contact.

Look on eBay for the Haas specific Renishaw OMP40 probe and receiver. The Haas ones are dumbed down, basically the receiver takes power and gives you a switch closure on contact. There are a lot of these around, I've bought the whole setup looked like new in the box for $1000 - $1500 a couple of times. The non-Haas receive has some other lines that need to be manipulated, harder to adapt to a control that isn't set up for it.

Swaft rat is correct.
I have know idea what sort of i\o the centroid is looking for PRECISELY, but would guess the Haas setup should work.

As opposed to asking Renishaw, I'd search what other Centroid users have done.

Look on eBay for the Haas specific Renishaw OMP40 probe and receiver. The Haas ones are dumbed down, basically the receiver takes power and gives you a switch closure on contact. There are a lot of these around, I've bought the whole setup looked like new in the box for $1000 - $1500 a couple of times. The non-Haas receive has some other lines that need to be manipulated, harder to adapt to a control that isn't set up for it.

Haas specific receiver (OMI-2H) is a downgraded OMI-2T. Both receivers can control 2 probes (mostly OMP40-2/OMP60 and OTS). OMI-2T , contrary to OMI-2H, is equipped with LOW BATTERY and ERROR outputs, as well as additional outputs of SKIP. There in no necessity to manipulate them, if you don't need them. Simply leave them as they are.

Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like I will be staying with what I got for now. Supposedly Centroid will have a wireless option at some point.

I am not comfortable with the connectivity of the Renishaw to the Centroid. The Centroid uses an open collector input and the Renishaw output uses a solid state relay. Usually they are not compatible. And the Renishaw needs an output from the PLC to enable it - doable but more involved than what I want to put into it right now. And I would need to convert it from 12VDC to 24VDC.

Update.

Centroid finally fixed my DP-4 spindle probe this week. Without getting into all the details, very unhappy with the customer service I received from Centroid with the probe. I probably should not be surprised. I do plan on paying them to get my repaired probe back, but haven't been able to get in touch with them over the last 2 days to take my payment info.

In the meantime, I ordered a full wireless Renishaw system today. I will deal with the necessary inputs, and I believe that I was wrong thinking that the solid state relay will be incompatible with my inputs. After further research, I think it will be fine or I will figure out how to deal with it. I pretty much understand the rest of all the control requirements. I will post a drawing once I get it all running in case anyone else ever wants to do the same conversion.

I ended up with:
- OMI-2T optical receiver (2 channel)
- OMP60 spindle probe
- OTS AA wireless tool setter

Thanks for all the feedback!

Back