What's new
What's new

can i use a 3phase motor/encoder/brake for y Axis?

paddua

Plastic
I got some parts gifted to me that used to run a package picker/elevator
Among them a set of 12' Thompson rails, trucks and a matching timing belt, pulleys, lovejoy connector and the motor.
It is a Baldor 3phase motor with pre installed encoder,electronic brake and gear box. This motor was powered by a FREQROLz320VFD that i also got, but controlled by some opto22 older circuitry that i did not get.

I was about to build a CNC table, had bought some beefy Nema34 DC steppers,drivers and supplies, and a NVEM 6 axis controller already, but when i got this gift i thought: a 12 foot y axis? hell yeah.

However, i'm familiar with A+A-B+B- steppers and stepper drivers, but not servos or encoders.
In my pile of older drivers i even found a leetro 3phase controller with AC input a DMDT68A

SO my questions is how do i go about using the above motor/encoder/brake/VFD as the Y axis drive?
Do i need to buy a specific driver? does one exist? or is there a way to wire this with what i have? If anyone has a wiring diagram of something close to what i described, please let me know

Typically servo motors are not run with VFD's. Encoders are sometimes used as feed back to a VFD for speed control or possibly a rough positioner then the brake takes over. The rails and trucks should be a good start for your project.

Ed

That motor was fine for a pick & place operation over that big a space but probably never required accuracy more than say 0.100" on location. I am getting ready to build a pick&place a little smaller than that with accuracy of about the same. But CNC machining, I wouldn't waste my time.

Back