What's new
What's new

Can a Speedio do High Feed Milling with those special cutters.

I was just wondering if the BT30 spindle is tough enough for using these types of tools for face roughing.

I haven't tried it.

On paper it seems like it should work very well. HFM tools are designed to vastly reduce radial load and increase axial load, and the spindle looks like it should be much hardier in Z than in XY.

I have a couple of parts coming up which involve a ton of material removal in 316 -- I'm kind of tempted to try it.

Yeah, me too. 5 x 6 block I need to face off 1/4"
Just considering it, but it is intriguing.

I was working on a part the other day with a pretty substantial open pocket, something like 30mm deep. I ended up roughing it out with a Kaiser 25mm FCR. I was pretty nervous running it but wow that thing did great. Super stable in the cut and really put in some work with no fuss. Something else you might consider.

Yup, just keep the axial DOC very low, see how the machine behaves and work your way up. Also use inserts with a positive chipbreaker.

I raw face milling I think you will find a 30 taper likes those high feed cutters very much over a 45 or 90 degree cutter.
In pocketing or anything with a wall each cut pass as you go deeper has to be inside the last one so that the insert never touches on the outside edge.
Bob
PS, these cutters do not like moving slow else they rub and wear out insets fast so the feed rates are scary.

Because someone else had the shorty 3/4" diameter tool body in another machine, and I was told to get it done. I honestly thought it was going to grenade something but I had never run a high feed before so what did I know LOL.

They will do just fine, provided you select the tool carefully.

Like others have said, select a tool with a positive cutting geometry. I haven't kept up with the market a whole lot, but I used to work for Seco, and Their High-Feed-2 & High-Feed-4 lines would do excellent in a 30-taper machine. Very positive, smooth cutting tools. The HF4 offers you 4 cutting edges. The HF2 is only 2 cutting edges, but gives more ramping ability.

If you're wanting a tool for pocketing with 30 & even 40-taper machines, I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a screw-together tooling system. These tools will allow greater reach per gage-length, resulting in a shorter tool overall. They will also allow you to add/remove extensions as necesary, as well as swap the cutter ends, etc... Pictured below is Seco's "Combi-Master" system, though Kyocera offers an interchangeable system as well. I believe others interchange as well, though I don't know who else off the top of my head.

Login • Instagram

If you want a strictly face-milling tool, I would suggest the HF4 tool, in a fine-pitch body. These tools are made with differential-pitch, and sound SO GOOD in the cut. A 2" HF4 cutter with 8 inserts, sounds like a V8 engine purring in the cut, and is so satisfying. It should be feeding around 200-250"/minute in alloy steel, and depths up to .031"/.8mm if you have the power.

There are other good tools out there. In general, inserts with a Trigon, or rectangular/toroidal shapes will be smoother cutting. Avoid inserts with square shapes & straight edges, unless they have a seriously wavy/curved cutting edge.

The year? 2001 and I was needing a high feed mill for some rather large pockets to rough out. Vendor gave me a tool to try and some numbers. I disregarded the numbers initially because they seemed off the charts. So, I went conservative. BIG MISTAKE. I called said vendor bitching about chatter and finish. He asked "did you run at the numbers I gave you?". I said no and told him why. Within a half hour he was there. I reprogrammed at his numbers and it blew my socks off. Dead quiet except for the machine gun sound of the chips hitting the window. I soon had a crowd around the machine going "Holy S*&t, that's going to crash". Nope, that cutter lasted the whole job.
2" High Feed mill, P20 mold steel, 500 SFPM, .060" DOC and .030" chip load. I still have those numbers stuck firmly in my head because ti was a game changer and a lesson learned.

I have a couple of the M12 thread integrated holders now. They make a big difference having them so short.
If I need to go up to M16 Maritool offers the shanks so no problem.
I was thinking a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tool for the speedio just because I don't want to hurt it. lol.

I do have a seco button copy mill right now on my Fadal. 2" diameter and 12mm buttons. An R220.29 series if I remember right.

Houndogforever- who’s threaded holders/cutter do you use? I just can’t get over how much these things cost when you get into this fancy tooling. I’ve looked at the Maritool threaded holders but never quite figured out who’s tools fit them. I did buy a little high feed mill from lakeshore carbide but it got delayed in shipping and I couldn’t wait so finished the job another way. I think I used a 3/8” rougher, which had a pretty good chamfer, and used that with a similar strategy- bubbacized it.

Rule number one for fancy tooling is either get your tooling rep to slide you the tool bodies or find them on eBay. I LOVE the Seco high feed and Turbo 06 but the bodies are insanely priced. A 1" 4-flute body for the small high feed inserts with the ability to stick out about 6" or so is damned near $500. Inserts are like $20+ each, too (I used the MP3000 grade which is awesome but expensive) but the tool life is really good so dollars per hour of cut is actually economical.

There are times I could benefit from those but there's no way for the jobs I have now I can justify that. I contacted Maritool once and asked them if they'd make some of their insert mills to go into their screw in holders. I think that would be a nice combo. The $20/insert I can see just fine but $500 for a holder is ridiculous.

Last I knew Mitsubishi is giving you a WJX cutter when you purchase 20 inserts

Back