Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't run the same rpm, but the same feed (15ipm). It's not super fast, but we do form tap all the way to the bottom of the full diameter hole... The biggest thing Ihave noticed is our coolant has a 1-2 second delay before it actually kicks on so I either have to program a dwell, or use a larger (.3) R plane so it's not a big deal to me if I run super fast tapping, plus we don't break taps very damn often so I'm good with what we are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only tap on the weekends and holidays. Very sober at work breaking all those threading tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a bunch of testing on a new Doosan and found that varying tap speeds does greatly effect the hole quality and life of the tap.

I had to do all this testing because we couldn’t tap much in the Doosan, it kept breaking taps. After almost 18 months of fighting with the MTB, some guys flew over from Korea and found that the machine had issues from the factory that caused the issues.

So. . . Even if your doing everything right, you can still be doing it wrong!

4. Likes eaglemike, PegroProX440, Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is no universal speed. To slow is as bad as to fast. Imagine a turning tool trying to cut of the lathe where the stock is barely turning. There needs to be a certain amount of surface speed to allow the material to flow. It's a fair question, this is how we learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

most of my tapping on a cnc knee mill with free spindle. cnc hand tapped small holes 4-40 & up to 1/2-13 at best guess. often held in Albrecht chuck. never a problem. smaller and larger stuff done with a tap center and the appropriate size tap handle. many jobs just tap drilled and handed off to assistant with drill press and cheap Chinese slip head similar to tapmatic. also never a problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    must have been mistaken hand tapping slow for over 4 decades and no problems. got to be cnc people who never do any field machining and manual machining
    Yeah, I've never broken a tap off by hand before.

8. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    Yeah, I've never broken a tap off by hand before.
    Hell I've broken taps without ever getting it into the hole...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

10. Likes PegroProX440, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can you tap too Slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I did a bunch of testing on a new Doosan and found that varying tap speeds does greatly effect the hole quality and life of the tap.

I had to do all this testing because we couldn’t tap much in the Doosan, it kept breaking taps. After almost 18 months of fighting with the MTB, some guys flew over from Korea and found that the machine had issues from the factory that caused the issues.

So. . . Even if your doing everything right, you can still be doing it wrong!

That’s crazy a friend of mine had a brand new doosan Dnm and it tapped holes terribly. Broke taps all the time and left terrible finishes.

Pretty much same code and my fadal would tap beautiful holes. I’m pretty sure it was the machine because we tried everything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a roll tap application where speeding it up activated the coating and added lubricity, stopping the issues I was having with breaking taps on those parts.

So the answer is "yes, there are speeds and feeds that are better than others depending on application" LOL.

13. Likes eaglemike, PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    That’s crazy a friend of mine had a brand new doosan Dnm and it tapped holes terribly. Broke taps all the time and left terrible finishes.

Pretty much same code and my fadal would tap beautiful holes. I’m pretty sure it was the machine because we tried everything.
    Might wanna have that checked out. . .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Might wanna have that checked out. . .
    Yea I believe Ellison was the seller and they weren’t too fond of doing anything at all. From what I heard terrible customer service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some time ago I posted a short video of our tech tapping holes in mild steel using an impact wrench. Until I witnessed it I didn't believe it would work. Seems that the vibrations loosened up the chips. He would simply press a nut onto the shank and use a standard impact socket.

17. Likes KC3KNM liked this post