What's new
What's new

Can't clear Tool Turret alarm

hesstool

Stainless
Hardinge SV200, Fanuc oi-TC control. I got an alarm yesterday during a run that, for the life of me, I can't figure out. Here's what came up after a tool change:
alarm #1002 "Turret Feedback T NEQ T Command"
Of course this alarm is not listed in any manuals or in the help feature in the control.

Here's what I can do. After rebooting the machine, I can program a tool change and it will change to the correct tool, but then alarm out afterwards. Also after rebooting, I can press the manual index button, but the turret just rotates endlessly until I reset the machine.

I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

I'm going to just guess here and say a prox switch has failed.

Here's a problem I just went through with a 0T-C
Thing was working fine, next day I switched out a job and it was running, made a few parts then all of a sudden, no tool change, no alarm either. The turret would unclamp but that was it, would not rotate. Reset the control via the reset button, turret clamped again, could manually index and could MDI any tool except tool 4, the one I needed. Scratched my head for a while, indexed the turret, powered the machine down and restarted, same thing, no index to tool 4. Went into the wear comp page and took out the .0004 comp, been working fine ever since. WTF?

Dave

I'm going to just guess here and say a prox switch has failed.

Here's a problem I just went through with a 0T-C
Thing was working fine, next day I switched out a job and it was running, made a few parts then all of a sudden, no tool change, no alarm either. The turret would unclamp but that was it, would not rotate. Reset the control via the reset button, turret clamped again, could manually index and could MDI any tool except tool 4, the one I needed. Scratched my head for a while, indexed the turret, powered the machine down and restarted, same thing, no index to tool 4. Went into the wear comp page and took out the .0004 comp, been working fine ever since. WTF?

Dave

That's a big 10/4 in both cases.

Electric or hydraulic turret?

Hydraulic I think. Our manual covers on one obscure page how to reset this. If you can't find it let me know and i could send you the procedure.

Electric or hydraulic turret?

Hydraulic I think. Our manual covers on one obscure page how to reset this. If you can't find it let me know and i could send you the procedure.
Pretty sure it's hydraulic. Thanks for the PM. I'll give that procedure a shot.

Still no luck. ARB gave me a procedure to clear the alarm but after dozens attempts it's still there. The book says the alarm is caused by the "turret station is not equal to the station commanded." This really isn't true. The control is tracking the tool perfectly, but every time the turret is indexed the alarm is triggered.

Had to remove a ton of metal, but I finally found the sensors for the turret. I made sure everything was tight and all connections good, both at the turret and in the control cabinet. All seemed to be working as far as I can tell.

Uugh!!!:bawling:

The book says the alarm is caused by the "turret station is not equal to the station commanded." This really isn't true. The control is tracking the tool perfectly, but every time the turret is indexed the alarm is triggered.

This is where being able to read the ladder is invaluable. You find the alarm "relay" then work backwards to see what conditions are causing it to be on.

If you're sure all seems good, this could be as simple as a PMC parameter mismatch. I would look in either the counters or the data table. If you don't know how to read this stuff, hire a good tech to come teach you for an hour or two. There have been many times when I've been troubleshooting a problem that I simply wouldn't have figured it out without analyzing the ladder.

This could be in the counter where the current value does not equal the station that is active.
Check the following:
Press SYSTEM function key
Press PMC soft key
Press Counter soft key
Check counter no.001 preset should equal 12 and current should equal tha active station. If the current is not the active station, change it the active station number ( you will need to diagle PWE to do this). If the current equals the active station then most likely it is a switch or wire issue.
Hope this helps
Tom

This could be in the counter where the current value does not equal the station that is active.
Check the following:
Press SYSTEM function key
Press PMC soft key
Press Counter soft key
Check counter no.001 preset should equal 12 and current should equal tha active station. If the current is not the active station, change it the active station number ( you will need to diagle PWE to do this). If the current equals the active station then most likely it is a switch or wire issue.
Hope this helps
Tom
Tom, this is the exact procedure that ARB sent me and the one that hasn't worked yet. I have the situation where they match. I'm no CNC tech. for sure, that's why it took me many hours last night just to unearth the sensors.

I just wish I could get a hold of somebody at Hardinge. Used to be able to call them up and figure this stuff out over the phone. Good customer service is now just a distant memory...:angry:

I am with Hardinge (applications not service) - call the main number at 607-734-2281 and ask for the srevice department you should now be able to get through - it used to loop you to the local dealer or email me your number at [email protected] and I can try to have someone call you
Tom

I just wish I could get a hold of somebody at Hardinge. Used to be able to call them up and figure this stuff out over the phone. Good customer service is now just a distant memory...:angry:

It used to be so nice to call Glen or Doug and get instant answers on the Talent machines. Luckily I have not needed help in a year or two.:)

Thanks for jumping in Tom

For those of you that suspected a proximity switch, give yourselves a pat on your backs. :cheers:

If I even had a clue as to how to check for a bad switch I may have caught it. However, I caved in and had a tech. come in to fix the machine and it took him over a half an hour to figure it out, so I don't feel so bad. So now that I know what a bad switch looks like and how to check for it, with my luck, I'll never have another one go bad for as long as I own the machine... :rolleyes5: (Which isn't a bad thing really.)

Back