What's new
What's new

Cant make duplicate drive Hyundai HIT 840c

markp

Hot Rolled
Trying to make a duplicate hard drive for my new to me Hyundai HIT 8s 840C hard drive. Im using a StarTech Drive duplicator that Ive used to make duplicates of drives for my 840D control and my Milllplus control. The Millplus is also a DOS based control, never a problem. I made another Millplus copy today to make sure the duplicator is still working and it is. I have a 170meg hard drive in the 840C thats dates from 1996. The drive is seen by the StarTech but when I enter copy mode and initiate the duplicate, the 840C drive does not transfer any data to the target drive I tried 2.1 GB drive and a 4gb which should work on DOS). Just sits at 0 data transfer with no activity on the 170mb source drive.

Also tried to view the drive on a USB to IDE adapter in OSX 10.6 and the drive never came up which is unusual as Ive looked at the contents of other old DOS drives using the same IDE/USB adapter on OSX.

Is there a hard drive/password copy control lock on 840C drives in Hyundai machines? I believe that this is the original hard drive. Going put it back in the machine to see if it still works...

Last edited:
Machine still works as before. Anyone here ever made a duplicate drive for their 840C on a hyundai? I see lots of reports of making 840C duplicates on the Siemens site. They all make it sound dirt simple.

send me a pm with email and I will forward some files for making dr-dos boot floppies/utilities. when I did my 840c I did the fdisk /mbr , format c: /s (I hope thats right been 20+years) then installed dr-dos to the new drive. made it master and the old one the slave. then used xcopy, use the /? to show the commands but there were certain ones that would recreate directory structure, system fils ect ect. and had to get the adapter cables to go from ide to the "laptop hd"
but got everything copied over and booted up just fine. actually made a couple and put the orig on the shelf and used the copy (also moved it a solid state)

Update. Tried to copy the original 170mb Siemens drive. Used DDrescue to make an image. There was 1 error but no bad blocks. DDrescue corrected that error which was on a 4096 bit block using the 3 retries setting. Made a drive from the created image using bit for bit copy also in DDrescue.

I get a "missing operating system" error on the duplicated drive both on the Hyundai and on PC. All the files copied to the new drive (256mb) but it seems like the MBR didn't copy. I also tried DD to make a bit for bit copy but it hangs if it hits an error so that only copied 15mb before stopping. My IT guy who is good couldn't figure it out. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I put the old drive back into the machine and somehow DD managed to change/damage Flexos so it won't boot. Anyone have a spare 840C drive for hyundai? Or the application discs? Looks like the machine is hosed otherwise. Ugh.

Attachments

• flexos.jpg
    flexos.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 31
I ended up paying a siemens tech $600 to make a new SSD with my machines parameters from the initial image I created in DDrescue (ssd included!). Will update after it gets here. A lot easier than messing around with ancient HD's if it works.

Got the drive back. Works perfectly! I didn't even have to reload the MMC/NCK, still stored from last good boot I guess. For 600 I got a new 1GB industrial SSD, new DRDOS FlexOS, my hyundai files correctly transferred. Also, upgraded bios, I think to allow for larger drives or maybe SSD drives? Now I can copy with my drive duplicator so I also have a few backups that also boot ok. This guy is on ebay, search "NEW FLASHDISK 2.5INCH 1GB FOR SINUMERIK 840C/840CE CONTROLS REPLACEMENT".

Attachments

• boot!.jpg
    boot!.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 16
  • hyundaibios.jpg
    hyundaibios.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 15
Got the drive back. Works perfectly! I didn't even have to reload the MMC/NCK, still stored from last good boot I guess. For 600 I got a new 1GB industrial SSD, new DRDOS FlexOS, my hyundai files correctly transferred. Also, upgraded bios, I think to allow for larger drives or maybe SSD drives? Now I can copy with my drive duplicator so I also have a few backups that also boot ok. This guy is on ebay, search "NEW FLASHDISK 2.5INCH 1GB FOR SINUMERIK 840C/840CE CONTROLS REPLACEMENT".

Mark
I’m looking for this guy on eBay is there any chance you could look through your emails for the sellers name so I can contact them?
Or is there any chance you have a backup saved you could email or anything like that?

Excellent thread. There are still a few of these CNCs out there. Siemens doesn't support them anymore, which is a little surprising.
This could help quite a few folk.

Excellent thread. There are still a few of these CNCs out there. Siemens doesn't support them anymore, which is a little surprising.
This could help quite a few folk.
not exactly, Had a dmp module fail and siemens said they would try and fix it but if they couldn't get parts then it was over and they would send me to the retrofit department. They did manage to fix it. But to be fair to siemens we had products that we discontinued because the electronics were no longer available so we couldn't fix it if we wanted.

we had the machine almost 20 years and it pretty much ran 24/6. after the turrets needed a rebuild we finally retired it.

not exactly, Had a dmp module fail and siemens said they would try and fix it but if they couldn't get parts then it was over and they would send me to the retrofit department. They did manage to fix it. But to be fair to siemens we had products that we discontinued because the electronics were no longer available so we couldn't fix it if we wanted.

we had the machine almost 20 years and it pretty much ran 24/6. after the turrets needed a rebuild we finally retired it.
Like I said.
You were lucky.
I've seen serviceable machines scrapped because Siemens couldn't supply control or drive parts.
Too bad, because the controls are pretty fast at processing.
My Fanuc CNCs are 40+ years old as is the Okuma. Still supported. Not cheap by any means, but supported.

Back