What's new
What's new

Capto vs stick tooling - Rigidity.

Panza

Stainless
Thinking about getting a 4 station capto holder for pos.1 on the turret (Y-axis). That will free up one space on the turret as I then can run both the Rough and finish OD tool in pos.1. The other pro it that it will be quicker to change tools.

I currently run 25x25mm stick tooling, the capto will be C4 size. The tip of the capto tools will be about 1" further from the turret center that the stick tooling. I have looked at Capto C4 tooling at another shop and the connection looked pretty flimsy. So the question is: Will the capto setup be just as rigid as the stick tooling ?

Capto is certainly not flimsy. You will have absolutely zero problems with the rigidity of the connection.

Whether the increased hangout is a problem or not depends more on your machine and turret type.

Just another thought...I have built a couple of ID tool holders that hold multiple tools, like spot, drill and tap in one pocket. Nice to gain two extra positions. Just a block of steel and use the spindle to spot and drill out the locations, remove drill, bore. Small tools a set screw to hold or go a bit larger with small ER collet holders in straight shanks.
I think someone sells them too...might be gang tooling.

Nothing flimsy about the connection. As post #2 mentioned, if you have problems, it wont be due to the connection.

I haven't used the Capto specifically but I use a similar Kennametal version and I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the rigidity. There is a 4340 part where we use a DNMG to turn .875 down to .470 in one pass. I figured that would be the test and it held up just fine. I'm not pushing the Kennametal stuff, I'm just saying I am no longer as leery of the modular head stuff as I used to be. Like your application, the head required longer stick out for me too but, again, no problems thus far. (That sounds bad :o) As far as changing tooling goes the other operators at the shop say it is the best part about the entire machine. :)

We use them on our production Mori's. It takes less time to swap out the entire tool than it does to change inserts.

Capto is rigid for what it is. But you can't compare it to a Static stick holder that is fixed right to the Turret face.

Capto is rigid for what it is. But you can't compare it to a Static stick holder that is fixed right to the Turret face.

That was what I was thinking about. Although there is a holder between the stick and the turret.
Anyway; it seems that the Capto is more than stiff enough.

That was what I was thinking about. Although there is a holder between the stick and the turret.
Anyway; it seems that the Capto is more than stiff enough.

Having had many years of experience with capto, I can tell you that a capto connection is about as close to a solid piece of metal as you can get, at least in a static tool. I have some extremely long boring bars on a capto connection that have zero flexure at the connection.

Back