What's new
What's new

Carousel Toolchanger Issues!

m98custom1212

Stainless
My new to me Mighty Viper 500 is having problems with the tool changer... The carousel seems index just fine slide toward the spindle pretty smooth may need a little love shortly though.

Here is the issues comes sounds like the draw unclamps then moves up but hard to tell then I get "Z Axis interlock" can't move the z axis or send the carousel back had to power off the control then every reset.

Control- Meldas 500

Talking to few people one said check for blow by in the drawbar and limits switches set correct and another said check for chips and junk on the limit switches.

I would like to get some more suggestions before I go ripping into her.

Last edited:
A very typical cause of this type error would be the tool unclamp signal not being received by the control.

Can you unclamp/clamp tools in the spindle manually? If so, I'd say your drawbar and unclamp cylinder are mechanically OK. If not, then start looking for mechanical or pnuematic/hydraulic problems with the unclamp cylinder. If all is well there, then broken Belleville springs can cause the drawbar to lock up and be unable to hold or release tools.

A very typical cause of this type error would be the tool unclamp signal not being received by the control.

Can you unclamp/clamp tools in the spindle manually? If so, I'd say your drawbar and unclamp cylinder are mechanically OK. If not, then start looking for mechanical or pnuematic/hydraulic problems with the unclamp cylinder. If all is well there, then broken Belleville springs can cause the drawbar to lock up and be unable to hold or release tools.

Yes, I can I tried clamping and unclamping a tool manually seemed clamped and have the right "kick out" accordingly to the to the manual.

I need to be looking towards the tool unclamp signal.. hmm

Yes, you need to find the input for the tool unclamp signal. It will be addressed as X.. in your wiring diagram with .. being a hexadecimal value. Then you can view the state of the input by going to the Diagnostic page and searching for the X.. address. Then when you manually unclamp the tool the signal should change from 0 to 1. If it does not then the switch is bad or mis-adjusted, wiring is bad between switch and control, switch is not getting +24VDC or, I/O board is bad.

Ok update... I found leak then fixed that still doesn't work.. I don't get the z axis interlock until I hit reset. What happens is the draw bar unclamps and the nothing happens the machine just sits there

Last edited:
No wiring diagram? That suck big time!

At the switch, assuming it is a mechanical type, there will be two wires. Most likely one will be +24V DC and the other will be the input. If you measure the the voltage between the wires it should show 24V when the switch is open and ~0V when you actuate the switch. If this is true then look at the X addresses in diagnostics and cycle the switch. If everything is working you should see one bit change states as you push the switch. If you do not see the 24V to ~0V change at the switch then you likely have a broken wire or bad connection somewhere.

No wiring diagram? That suck big time!

At the switch, assuming it is a mechanical type, there will be two wires. Most likely one will be +24V DC and the other will be the input. If you measure the the voltage between the wires it should show 24V when the switch is open and ~0V when you actuate the switch. If this is true then look at the X addresses in diagnostics and cycle the switch. If everything is working you should see one bit change states as you push the switch. If you do not see the 24V to ~0V change at the switch then you likely have a broken wire or bad connection somewhere.

Pming you

Dont feel right posting here.

Back