Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Nobody is looking to hurt Franks business.
    He's charging 1 hour's time for it. Can you design and make one in a hour?

The one I'm working on has dozen of design hours in it, and is made of 20+ parts and will cost 3 hours of time. Even if I gave the blueprints away, it still wouldn't make sense to build your own.

2. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post

The one I'm working on has dozen of design hours in it, and is made of 20+ parts and will cost 3 hours of time. Even if I gave the blueprints away, it still wouldn't make sense to build your own.
    Some new guys have more time than money sadly. That's what this post is all about.

Plus I'm giving some away for free to help one of my employees learn to program.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Don't dig your filthy hooks into me. Go re read my post above and then let's talk about integrity.

Making a copy for yourself , qty (1) is fine.

Making CAD & DXf files and freely distributing online is clearly another.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

You're an idiot.

So by your own idiot rules, maritools fixture is a no no because it is a copy of someone else's design from probably 10s of years ago?

Bet you only take name brand prescriptions for your hemorrhoids also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on the this is a good thing let's not bring it down this road.

7. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

I don't have any issue with the project. Frank put his design up after the fact in case anyone wanted to just buy one and be done with it. If the purpose is to put on grabcad or whatever and share for free, all good (I still don't think it makes the make vs. buy cutoff). The only ethical problem I can foresee is if it becomes a for-sale product and the seller effectively poaches the design work of 10 people, but I don't think that's where this is going.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the gap behind the flange is an issue using dual contact depth with a standard holder, you could always just make a little spacer washer that drops in. Stick some recessed magnets into the main body and then you could store the spacer ring on the opposite side of the holder when it is not being used. Magnets in the spacer would be nice but harder to do with the thickness I would think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Digger, you have an interesting viewpoint on this. Wrong, but interesting...

11. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    If the gap behind the flange is an issue using dual contact depth with a standard holder, you could always just make a little spacer washer that drops in.
    I don't actually use standard CAT40, DC only.

A pin in side of the v-groove would be a simple thing and no monkeying around with spacers. Plenty of room to put one on each side so it fits both types.

Have to look at the holder specs to see how close BT and DC are- they might be close enough to interchange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting back to the fixture, what would people think of going back to a split clamp for the simple fixture, such that it used the flange OD as the universal clamp point, one tab on the side opposite the clamp (the mounting hole side), and a cam lever rather than a screw to actuate?

I'm thinking a pivot boss on one side of the split, and a ramp boss on the other, designed for either a pair of flat plates with a couple holes in them to mate with the pivot boss, a rolling bushing (bronze/brass or Delrin/PEEK) and maybe a final metal spacer at the hand end.

Yes, a little more work, and perhaps only the plate is made as the community part and the actuation lever is thrown together by the "customer". Or heck, it could be for the adjustable screw lock handles of the currently available styles if you wanted to keep it simpler, but I'd like a lever for mine (think bicycle quick release sort of thing).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I'd like a lever for mine (think bicycle quick release sort of thing).
    Me too, something like a steady rest. A hinge with 2 pivots, and a cam-lock arrangement on the other side.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Me too, something like a steady rest. A hinge with 2 pivots, and a cam-lock arrangement on the other side.
    I thought about that too. It seemed a little too complex for the simple version, but it would allow for a good grip on the holder.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a solution. I'm currently traveling but once I return back to the shop I'll get it drawn in CAD.

17. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cost [complexity] is obverse of simplicity [or limited capability]. Such a fixture can occupy either end of the spectrum. Be certain, many of the commercial versions weren't by a Toolmaker/ decent Class A; the range of designs suggest desk bound engineers. Long on features, short on longevity, cleaning, issues found in everyday use.
    Can't supply pics don't work there any more, but made people happy. And I'm sure, still in use! Never made a 30, just 40's and 50's.
    Aluminum wouldn't be my choice, due to embedding of chips over time. But use heli-coils for fasteners if you do.

Horizontal orientation is far more common. Ergonomics is one-half the reason. Other half? Yeah. Many shops have crap benches ill-suited to absorb torque parallel to floor; but laden with enough *hit to counter force in the other plane.
    Seems we usually had heavy tubing of some kind. C1018 be my very last choice being hard to get satisfactory finish.
    1] Prepare OD for a mounting plate [weldment] for secure anchoring.
    2] Depending on your machine resources [workholding] weld plate in place or complete the required taper, extract dimensions from Machinery's Handbook or online. Allow some/ plenty material to gauge line and front face. I like the flange to sit in a loose bore, so body will center in the taper
    3] Establish gauge line and pocket for drive key(s) just like spindle. Unless operator a 7' 300 lbs one key is sufficient, but I'd cut both slots.
    4] Plan the lock of good tensile steel in C washer configuration to slide around holder end. Another heavier type, would swing on a 3/8"or 1/2" stripper bolt. Either way, secure it with two matching fasteners, [not swing bolt]. The variety of cutters makes a quick release unattractive to me, they aren't so flush, compact or long lived.
    5] Mount the key(s), affix to bench.

It pays to make one, for each pair of same spindles, if they share a bench. If this is a facility doing short run work, make one for each spindle.
    Finally, I'll praise intent of this thread. We don't occupy the same brick and mortar address, so there will be a lot of conversations about how and what if. Personally, the solution process is what will last until I wear it out or desire improvement. If vending is the intent, follow precepts of "Design for Manufacturing".
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; 12-30-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: nature calls!

19. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as the different thicknesses of the holders along the line of a shim how about 3 or 4 set screws from the back side to take up the slack? I have another idea also that uses my swing plate design but rather one on each side that has the 2 different heights. The body would be made in 2 pieces so you can machine out a pocket on each half where the swing plate would be located between the 2 parts. The 2 halves would then be bolted together making machining faster only one part would be machined on 2 sides to countersink 4 bolt holes on the face of the outside part that hold the 2 halves together 2 of those bolts could be used fr the swing pin on the swing plate. The swing plate could be a nice piece that has a finger groove sticking out proud on both sides. If this doesn't make sense I could draw it out tonight.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    As far as the different thicknesses of the holders along the line of a shim how about 3 or 4 set screws from the back side to take up the slack? I have another idea also that uses my swing plate design but rather one on each side that has the 2 different heights. The body would be made in 2 pieces so you can machine out a pocket on each half where the swing plate would be located. the 2 halfs would then be bolted together making machining faster only one part would be machined on 2 sides to countersink 4 bolts on the face of the outside part that hold the 2 halves together. If this doesn't make sense I could draw it out tonight.
    I've got the perfect solution for this that doesn't require shims.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I've got the perfect solution for this that doesn't require shims.

Face mounted thumb bolts on a plate??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think spring loaded plate that pushes up and down the difference between cat 40 and big plus

Has a tab sticking out to grip with your fingers and on the end has a space for a ball detent to lock in place.

I've got it all in my head just need to get it in the cad.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post

Again. What this thread turned into, is not what it started as. The original intent was to build a better widget, designed by members.
    The original intent was not just produce something easily and cheaply available.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Again. What this thread turned into, is not what it started as. The original intent was to build a better widget, designed by members.
    The original intent was not just produce something easily and cheaply available.

Wrong. The thread was created to design a cheap tool fixture for noobs to make without much time so they can use their available hours not unavailable money.

Making a better tool holder is a side project that will happen because of number 1)

I'm in a position to make and give away 10 cheap fixtures for free to help my programmer and help folks here that are less well off to buy, don't have the time to make, and/or know someone they can give it to that will appreciate it.

With such great talk so far I decided to buy a domain and hosting for projects like this to keep track and post all documents for future folks to download and use...for free.

Why? Because I can and we can.....

26. Likes jjclear, mountie liked this post