What's new
What's new

Cat 40 holder for slitting saws?

Captdave

Titanium
Looking for a Cat 40 tool holder with a key way for a 1" slitting saw blade. Checked MSC and called Mari, no joy.

Other alternative (but less desirable) was to use a straight shank holder for 1" blade but on back order from MSC till sometime next month.

I've got a parlec one, I think it came from MSC, pn C40-10SA4, about a 4" gage length.

In a pinch I've used shell mill holders, just unbolt one of the keyways.

Also not a particuarly difficult thing to make. Grab youself a piece of stock. Turn it down so it will fit in a holder you have, Drill and tap the other end, put it in a holder. Put that in the machine, grab a lathe type tool holder in a vise, and turn to perfect concentricity. Do whatever you want for a keyway, round ones are easiest to deal with, you don't need much if anything at all.

I strongly recommend the Peterson!
With this one, nuthin' sticks out the bottom!

We were milling a .062 wide slot .020 off the top of the vises, and it was a breeze!

Lee (the saw guy)

Thanks Charles but it looks like I may have a couple of days to track one down.

The Hurco tech is here installing the Renishaw tool probe and it isn't going too well. First was the current version of software in the machine wouldn't support the new version OTS. Once that hurdle was crossed now we found out that there needs to be an additional I/O board installed to connect to so it will be sent overnight and be here sometime before lunch. I'm figuring mid to late Thursday before its complete and back making chips.

In the mean time I'm making some ID expansion clamps to hold some of my larger parts, instead of 2 at a time in vises, 8 at a time on a fixture plate. Just putting some slots in the clamps so they will expand so nothing critical. I'll try setting the job up in the Bridgeport and see how it goes.

Try here; Welcome to Peterson Flush Arbor

also Lyndex Nikken has stub mill arbors on page 120 of there catalog you can download here; Online Catalogs

GM:)

That flush arbor looks slicker than snot on a doorknob. Didn't even know anybody actually made one. Thought about making one several times with an expanding mandrel to hold it without extending outside the cutter. Never could work out how to key it economically though. I may have to have one of those just because! Actually I'm too tight for that, but I'm gonna remember that they are made, for next time I need one.

I like this tool for slitting saws, I hold it in a collet.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05248-800.jpg
    DSC05248-800.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,037
The Lyndex Nikken tool holder show up from the UPS guy last night and I think I'm going to regret not springing for the Peterson Flush mount.:angry:

Dave the one I have is from Command and it is 80mm long with a 5mm cap and it does have a keyway but you will have to make a key as it fell under the bench one day and went into another dimension.

The bolt is flush when secured.

Charles

Attachments

• slitting saw holder 002 (Small).jpg
    slitting saw holder 002 (Small).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 665
The tool holder itself is of very good quality, just disappointed in the amount of projection below the blade. It will work for the job I needed it for but I think it will be very limited for future use.

Attachments

• IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 585
I also use a Parlec arbor. About .5 stick out on the retaining nut/screw.

Robb Jack make a nice arbor you can put in a 1" collet. It has an even smaller projection.

We have at least one Peterson unit floating around here too.

But some jobs are OK with a cap on the end.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'll keep you in mind and I really do appreciate it Charles.

Sometimes I just don't listen.....:angry:

Keep your eye out for a once used tool holder on Flee bay.

Looking for a Cat 40 tool holder with a key way for a 1" slitting saw blade. Checked MSC and called Mari, no joy.

Other alternative (but less desirable) was to use a straight shank holder for 1" blade but on back order from MSC till sometime next month.

Can't you just make one? I think there is a machine shop VERY close to you. :)

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here. Maybe I don't understand the situation....

Regards,

Stan-

Stan- If I didn't have this freaking full time Pilot job I would have blasted out a simple arbor and been done with it. Last year they we're offering early retirements to us senior, under worked and over paid Captains (their quote not mine) but since I have one more son to get through school so wife and I decided to hang in there a couple more years.

Again, I just didn't listen:angry:

Back