What's new
What's new

Cat 40 tightening fixture

Sendit

Aluminum
Whats a good Cat 40 tightening fixture, looking for something other than the one that came with my Haas. Something up to the $200 range if possible but I'm open to feed back.

Whats a good Cat 40 tightening fixture, looking for something other than the one that came with my Haas. Something up to the $200 range if possible but I'm open to feed back.

Can't see the spend on the ones as are NOT "bill-it" shiney wood. And the good'uns seem to START at over $200. Shiney-wood ones are cheap, LOOK nice, but I don't mean "inexpensive".

Hobbling along with an actual 40-taper spindle off an old mill. it's decent steel, and the lugs are replaceable.

These are nice as you can reach the pullstud and the set screw/collet/etc.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/78917275

I've used similar to this ^
and these are nice and handy for multiple positions, but very spendy! https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/93285658

You could reasonably expect to pay 70-80% of the list price FYI.

Following this.

I asked about Dorain tool holder when I talked to MSC and replied was "no discount". Granted I don't do a lot of business with them anyway.

This is the only way to fly....

View attachment 273159

Those are definitely nice, but not sure what you can do with them you can't do with one that has the top and bottom exposed... It is nice to index it 180 and have 'top' access to the pullstud, but not necessary IMO.

Forgot to ask OP what was wrong with the Haas supplied one? Yes, it is a little chicny and doesn't positively lock the toolholder in place, but been working with them for years and no issues....

Those are definitely nice, but not sure what you can do with them you can't do with one that has the top and bottom exposed... It is nice to index it 180 and have 'top' access to the pullstud, but not necessary IMO.

Forgot to ask OP what was wrong with the Haas supplied one? Yes, it is a little chicny and doesn't positively lock the toolholder in place, but been working with them for years and no issues....

I haven't gotten my Haas yet to be completely honest but I've seen post on here about ditching it for something better. For the cost of one or two tool holders to hold it better, I'm ok with that.

I have 2 bench mounted ones and still find my self using the stock Haas one all the time ... Its nothing to write home about but it gets the job done ...The only time I have bitched about it was when I removed pull studs that were lock tighted in ...

I haven't gotten my Haas yet to be completely honest but I've seen post on here about ditching it for something better. For the cost of one or two tool holders to hold it better, I'm ok with that.

So wait, you are looking to get a replacement for something you haven't used yet because some Momo on here did something retarded or thinks it should be stronger? Save your money, buy some nice cutters :)

The Haas units work fine for collets, drill Chuck's, and pull studs. They feel a bit flimsy but I've yet to see one break.

I like these, called Tool Jaw. More costly, but you can find them used for under $200.

View attachment 273181

We had some trouble with these...We had a couple for our 30-taper holders and found that when tightening (or loosening...I can’t remember) collet chucks the holder would pop out. I was all, “noooo, we must be doing something wrong” but never figured it out.

We had some trouble with these...We had a couple for our 30-taper holders and found that when tightening (or loosening...I can’t remember) collet chucks the holder would pop out. I was all, “noooo, we must be doing something wrong” but never figured it out.

You have to put the holder in so that it seats into the jaw when you turn the wrench. I bolt mine to the bench with the open side to the rear, away from the man using it. Then I put the collet nut to the left side to tighten it, or to the right to loosen it. That way you are always pushing down on the wrench which makes the job easier and safer and forces the holder into the tool jaw. Same for installing or removing a pull stud. I have them for 40, 45 and 50 taper, you can really horse on them with big wrenches without any danger of having the tool get away if you position it correctly.

Well.. surely my tiny corner of Hell ain't exactly "representative" of the INDUSTRY, but still.. I get by with that repurposed spindle stub because... only the newly-added TG-100 (3 holders is plenty, here) or the ER I have had for years even NEEDS a bench-mount tightening fixture. Most of my 40-taper is in Weldon-style side-locks or arbours for the horizontal. Classical fixture ain't necessarily useless, but neither is it critical.

Presuming you DO plan to run a lot of ER or TG - both MEANT to be precisely torqued to a spec, then whatever Frank Mari has in his MariTool line could be a sane choice.

Reason being if it is somehow sub-standard, yah make Frank aware of WHY yah think so, and he's one of the few vendors standing as will actively take notice, ask PM for corroborating input, and go about seeing to a better source or build a better one under his own roof.

Folk like that are scarce and valuable resources in a world where 99%-plus of ever' damn product on offer - food to foolishness - has passed through multiple layers of "don't-give-damn" and "not MY job" or "we've never had that happen before" hands yah can't even IDENTIFY with a Court Order, let alone get any support out of.

And yes, as happens I DO also "support my local SHERIFF". We got us a good'n.

:)

Well.. surely my tiny corner of Hell ain't exactly "representative" of the INDUSTRY, but still.. I get by with that repurposed spindle stub because... only the newly-added TG-100 (3 holders is plenty, here) or the ER I have had for years even NEEDS a bench-mount tightening fixture. Most of my 40-taper is in Weldon-style side-locks or arbours for the horizontal. Classical fixture ain't necessarily useless, but neither is it critical.

Presuming you DO plan to run a lot of ER or TG - both MEANT to be precisely torqued to a spec, then whatever Frank Mari has in his MariTool line could be a sane choice.

Reason being if it is somehow sub-standard, yah make Frank aware of WHY yah think so, and he's one of the few vendors standing as will actively take notice, ask PM for corroborating input, and go about seeing to a better source or build a better one under his own roof.

Folk like that are scarce and valuable resources in a world where 99%-plus of ever' damn product on offer - food to foolishness - has passed through multiple layers of "don't-give-damn" and "not MY job" or "we've never had that happen before" hands yah can't even IDENTIFY with a Court Order, let alone get any support out of.

And yes, as happens I DO also "support my local SHERIFF". We got us a good'n.

The one I had at local college, when taking nice classes was junk, I've tried to find a picture to post up in my OP.

I'm not questioning Franks but being the new guy, I didn't know what the "norm" is.

I've been watching VA closely. I'm nervous what the future may hold.

The one I had at local college, when taking nice classes was junk, I've tried to find a picture to post up in my OP.

I'm not questioning Franks but being the new guy, I didn't know what the "norm" is.

I've been watching VA closely. I'm nervous what the future may hold.

"Off topic" but approaching a full 100 counties and cities as have already sent the incoming legislature a LOUD message are easily as often Democrat as Republican, if not MORE so!

List of Second Amendment sanctuaries in Virginia and where it’s being discussed

AFAICS, the "Old Dominion", actually BEING "old" and having earned our damned scars very much the "hard way", will sort it out cheaply enough. As usual.

After all, we be the very ones, and no others, as have to take the G-Damned BLAME for inventing BOTH of those legions of opportunistic fools, Ripofflican or Dumbasscrap alike!

:(

Reason there ain't no "Independent" party?

Because we actually are.

Independent, that is.

AND NOT "cock-us ing with" ...some other hound dog's flavour of fleas.

You have to put the holder in so that it seats into the jaw when you turn the wrench. I bolt mine to the bench with the open side to the rear, away from the man using it. Then I put the collet nut to the left side to tighten it, or to the right to loosen it. That way you are always pushing down on the wrench which makes the job easier and safer and forces the holder into the tool jaw. Same for installing or removing a pull stud. I have them for 40, 45 and 50 taper, you can really horse on them with big wrenches without any danger of having the tool get away if you position it correctly.

It’s been a while since we used them but don’t the holders only go in one way due to the shape of that little key at the bottom? (Being square at one end and full diameter at the other). I’m sure I’m wrong....haha.

I'd like to try one of these.

29046162a1f6a82591c3412e2fcda103.jpg

Back