What's new
What's new

CAT40 tool info

sidetrack50

Aluminum
Finally got a chance to look at the tooling that came with my Fadal and there's quite a few holders I've never seen before (30 year lay off will do that) Is there a tool holder reference manual out there? I must have about 100 holders some have the long stud and some short, I know the short fits the Fadal, how about the long stud?
20180727_150733.jpg
20180727_150658.jpg

The long stud could fit any number if machines. They're all different in their own way.
Double check the short stud 100%. It may be close to your Fadal, but the angle could be different, or something minor like that.

Pretty sure haas is the same as hurco, which is a long stud like that but slightly shorter than a bt mas stud. However that one has a 90 degree shoulder, whereas the haas/hurco ones are 45

This is what my Haas uses. My Sharp and Chevalier use the same one.

Attachments

• haasstud.jpg
    haasstud.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 116
The short stud seems20180727_155854.jpg to lock in the spindle ok, are the tool holders ok just need shorter studs? I also have quite a few holders with no studs

All of the studs fit multiple machines. You need to check machine specs to figure out what goes where. I knw the 90 degree was used in Mori Seiki and others.

Rocky Spindle Grinding Service (retired)

The short stud seemsView attachment 234213 to lock in the spindle ok, are the tool holders ok just need shorter studs? I also have quite a few holders with no studs

The one thing you DON'T want is a faulty pull stud.
If you have some extra $$$, I'd be looking at buying some new ones for your machine.
This way you know they are in good condition AND they are made to fit your machine.
If that stud fails while you're in a cut....it won't be pretty.

Agree with those that say be smart about pull studs. Even if the short ones are locking into the machine you still want to compare measurements for your specific application and ensure the studs are truly correct.

Reading through the Maritool site will also help you figure out the differences in the holders you've got. Many of those tapers look a bit beat up, if you're doing anything more than hobby work you may want to get some new holders or try to gently clean up the ones you have to remove corrosion and chip embeds.

Thanks for the heads up, don't think I ever had that problem when I ran a Fadal years ago but doesn't sound good. What actually goes bad on the stud anyway? Do they sell the studs in quantities?

I'll definitely look then over, they were all in individual bubble wrap bags and in a crate, I made a tool cart so I can see each one. A lot of the ones that fit the Fadal look fairly new. As I mentioned, some holders I'm not familiar with. Most of my machining will be drilling/tapping and some milling on aluminum only.

Thanks for the heads up, don't think I ever had that problem when I ran a Fadal years ago but doesn't sound good. What actually goes bad on the stud anyway? Do they sell the studs in quantities?

It's not a super common issue, but it does happen, pull studs can crack, come loose, etc..
And if they fail during a cut, the holder will destroy your spindle taper.
Mari-Tool has great quality and prices so I would suggest looking there if you need any.
CAT4 Pull Studs - Retention Knobs - MariTool

They look like pretty generic 90 deg studs. Once screwed out check the thread to see if they are M16 or 5/8" UNC. That will be your easiest way to see if they are for BT40 or CAT40

I'll definitely look then over, they were all in individual bubble wrap bags and in a crate, I made a tool cart so I can see each one. A lot of the ones that fit the Fadal look fairly new. As I mentioned, some holders I'm not familiar with. Most of my machining will be drilling/tapping and some milling on aluminum only.

First and foremost make sure you have the correct pull stud for your spindle. Just because one type draws in doesn't mean it is the correct pull stud. The length and knob angles are very important and if you use the wrong pull studs you can damage the fingers that grip the stud. If those need replacement you'll have to remove the draw bar assembly to get to them and it's somewhat a PITA. We had to repair two machines because the operators thought they could interchange some cat50 studs. They mixed knobs using some with 45 deg under the ************************ and others which were flat. The repairs were not super expensive but the down time was expensive.

Once screwed out check the thread to see if they are M16 or 5/8" UNC. That will be your easiest way to see if they are for BT40 or CAT40

That doesn't prove much of anything really. MTB's use Cat and Din tapers interchangeably depending on the machine's destination, the only significant difference being the thread. Also, some others for some reason like to use BT style (style, but not dimensions) pullstuds on Cat/Din spindles. Accordingly, most common pull stud forms can be found with metric or imperial threads.

Looks like 45 degree on top and bottom edge, 5/8 allen head fits into the threaded hole. I'm assuming they make a holder and wrench to use on the studs.

Back