Likes (Received)

couple pictures cat40-holder-stud.jpgcat40-.625-bolt.jpg

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    That doesn't prove much of anything really. MTB's use Cat and Din tapers interchangeably depending on the machine's destination, the only significant difference being the thread. Also, some others for some reason like to use BT style (style, but not dimensions) pullstuds on Cat/Din spindles. Accordingly, most common pull stud forms can be found with metric or imperial threads.
    Interesting. I learnt something new. Thanks!
    I suppose having never really encountered many CAT40 spindles I was under the wrong impression.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    ....Accordingly, most common pull stud forms can be found with metric or imperial threads.
    Yes, and and as NAST555 points out, the metric thread versions are used with BT flange holders and the imperial (SAE) thread versions are used with CAT flange holders. So if you have a pullstud with SAE threads, you know it is for a CAT flanged holder but it does not mean it fits all CAT type toolchanger equipped machines. Likewise if the stud is metric it only fits BT flanged holders but does not fit all BT type toolchangers. When I was doing field service it was not uncommon to have to change the "claws" on the toolchanger arm to match the machine buyers inventory of toolholders.

As mentioned earlier, Mori Seiki used the 90 degree pullstud for many years. The drawbar collet had the matching 90 degree jaws. I saw many of those collets damaged and a few tool pull-out events caused by operators taking holders from other machines with 30 or 45 degree pullstuds and loading them into a Mori without switching to the correct stud. At over $1000 for the collet and ~$500 for labor it was an expensive lesson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Likewise if the stud is metric it only fits BT flanged holders...
    Emphasis mine.

This is basically the part that I was disagreeing with. Metric studs also fit DIN 69871 (SK) holders, which along with the vee notch in the flange are otherwise the same as CAT. And because these are very common it really muddies the water.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The DIN holders are not common IME. In ~40 years of working around CNCs, I've only seen a few. Might be a location thing. I did not know they had a metric thread though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The DIN holders are not common IME. In ~40 years of working around CNCs, I've only seen a few. Might be a location thing. I did not know they had a metric thread though.
    It's a location thing for sure. European machines tend to use DIN if they're on steep taper, Japanese and Korean/Taiwanese are all BT. So over here we have DIN and BT in about equal measure, and no CAT.