What's new
What's new

central room mist collector

Cycle1000

Cast Iron
Any one purchase a central room mist collector?
I would like one in addition to the machine mounted units
Gary

Sorry I can't contribute to your post, but this has been on my mind lately- What are mist extractors needed for? Are there significant health effects to jumping in after a job when you've had the flood-coolant on or something?

Sorry I can't contribute to your post, but this has been on my mind lately- What are mist extractors needed for? Are there significant health effects to jumping in after a job when you've had the flood-coolant on or something?

They're often for machines with high pressure coolant. For example, my machines have 1000PSI high pressure coolant available. When you push that through the coolant passages in a .075" drill and into a part, it can atomize the coolant (or in my case, oil) pretty well, and leave it in the machine/everywhere around the machine.

And yes, depending on your coolant, and your personal physiology, you can have negative effects from breathing in all that atomized coolant.

...And yes, depending on your coolant, and your personal physiology, you can have negative effects from breathing in all that atomized coolant.

You're being diplomatic here. Good on you. I won't be, though.

If you breathe this, you will have negative consequences. It ain't good for you.

Kudos to the OP for seeking a central unit.

A good mist collector properly sized will not send any mist in the shop air. I have seen a shop full of TSC machines buzzing...all LNS mist collectors and the air was wonderful...floor was white. Torit makes a nice system as fo many others. Consult your local distributor on sizing and inlet locations

I'm not too thrilled at the idea of a central collection system. Without some sort of filtration right above the machine, the ducting is going to get gunked up with coolant residue very quickly and may require complete teardowns more frequently than you'd like.

If dead set on a central unit, I'd at least want a few metal baffles as prefilters at each machine before the mist enters the ducting.

A good mist collector properly sized will not send any mist in the shop air. I have seen a shop full of TSC machines buzzing...all LNS mist collectors and the air was wonderful...floor was white. Torit makes a nice system as fo many others. Consult your local distributor on sizing and inlet locations

I would agree with this, my shop has... Well, A LOT of CNCs all with high pressure coolant, and there's not a drop of it in the air. Monthly air quality tests, both central, and carried by operators back this up. I just know that my shop isn't exactly the norm, either, so I can't always apply what I know/see to what others are living in their shops.

Hello! With a properly sized and good quality mist collector, machine mount units are sufficient to keep the air in your shop clean. Some mist collectors pull the mist out of the machine and exhaust into the air, if this is the case, then yes a central unit would be beneficial. My recommendation is to look at replacing the machine mount units as that is more cost effective than central systems due to higher costs of a larger unit and central installation costs.

Feel free to take a look at our website - Aeroex Technologies Inc, The leading supplier of Mist Collectors The Mist-Fit product line is designed as machine mount and the ARO product line is more of a central system. We do offer a free trial if you are unsure what unit to go with.

^^^^spam.jpg^^^^

I have 2 JET dust collectors on my VTC300. Made to hang in a room to filter air, but are inside the enclosure above the spray. They make the difference between coughing up a lung the next day, or not. Filters get very crappy looking because they are working at keeping the air clean.

We have collectors on the machines that make the most mist but sometimes there was a little left over in the air. Simply going to MERV 8 filters on our air conditioning system grabs all the rest. It was a noticeable, immediate, and cost effective solution for us.

They're often for machines with high pressure coolant. For example, my machines have 1000PSI high pressure coolant available. When you push that through the coolant passages in a .075" drill and into a part, it can atomize the coolant (or in my case, oil) pretty well, and leave it in the machine/everywhere around the machine.

And yes, depending on your coolant, and your personal physiology, you can have negative effects from breathing in all that atomized coolant.

Atomised coolant is one case.

Another is big lathes doing heavy roughing. When you are putting a lot of power into a big chunk of steel the coolant will boil/burn off and create oily smoke.

We use filtermist units on machines that create mist, and electrostatic units on machines that create smoke.

Back