Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default central room mist collector

Any one purchase a central room mist collector?
    I would like one in addition to the machine mounted units
    Gary

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I can't contribute to your post, but this has been on my mind lately- What are mist extractors needed for? Are there significant health effects to jumping in after a job when you've had the flood-coolant on or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfOfWalmart View Post
    Sorry I can't contribute to your post, but this has been on my mind lately- What are mist extractors needed for? Are there significant health effects to jumping in after a job when you've had the flood-coolant on or something?

They're often for machines with high pressure coolant. For example, my machines have 1000PSI high pressure coolant available. When you push that through the coolant passages in a .075" drill and into a part, it can atomize the coolant (or in my case, oil) pretty well, and leave it in the machine/everywhere around the machine.

And yes, depending on your coolant, and your personal physiology, you can have negative effects from breathing in all that atomized coolant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post

...And yes, depending on your coolant, and your personal physiology, you can have negative effects from breathing in all that atomized coolant.
    You're being diplomatic here. Good on you. I won't be, though.

If you breathe this, you will have negative consequences. It ain't good for you.

Kudos to the OP for seeking a central unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good mist collector properly sized will not send any mist in the shop air. I have seen a shop full of TSC machines buzzing...all LNS mist collectors and the air was wonderful...floor was white. Torit makes a nice system as fo many others. Consult your local distributor on sizing and inlet locations

6. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not too thrilled at the idea of a central collection system. Without some sort of filtration right above the machine, the ducting is going to get gunked up with coolant residue very quickly and may require complete teardowns more frequently than you'd like.

If dead set on a central unit, I'd at least want a few metal baffles as prefilters at each machine before the mist enters the ducting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    A good mist collector properly sized will not send any mist in the shop air. I have seen a shop full of TSC machines buzzing...all LNS mist collectors and the air was wonderful...floor was white. Torit makes a nice system as fo many others. Consult your local distributor on sizing and inlet locations
    I would agree with this, my shop has... Well, A LOT of CNCs all with high pressure coolant, and there's not a drop of it in the air. Monthly air quality tests, both central, and carried by operators back this up. I just know that my shop isn't exactly the norm, either, so I can't always apply what I know/see to what others are living in their shops.