What's new
What's new

centroid control on Atrump lathe and Trump turn lathe

roll maker

Aluminum
Looking for a tool room lathe with conversational and g-code hence centroid, plus we have centroid controls.I have found and am researching Atrump and Trump turn. Is anyone using either of these brands in a tool room setting and what is your take on them? I have never heard of Trump turn and was wondering if this is imported from Taiwan, China or elsewhere? Any thoughts and experiences with these or any other iron greatly appreciated.

I have an atrump bedmill, circa 2005. I've always liked it, but since it lacks an enclosure or tool changer it doesn't get as much use as my other machines. That's a selection error on my part, not the machine's fault. It's a good machine for simple tasks (I think I at least am faster using it than a manual mill.) They have machines with enclosures and tool changers as well.

I picked mine over haas TM or various turret-knee-mill (bridgeport) hacks, never regretted that.

Be sure to read up on the options on the centroid site - for example I've always found the probe to work well. (But a 3d taster works fine tool.)

At that time I think most atrumps where iron from taiwan with the controller added in CA, you could call them and ask. (Centroid is a US company I think.)

(Also, while atrump lists lathes "trump turn" doesn't bring up anything else in google, not sure if that's the same brand/company or not.)

Back