What's new
What's new

Chamfer/debur cast edges

Chriscos

Plastic
Hello, hope everyone is coping with the insanity that has become life.

I'm doing some machining of castings (engine parts for a custom race motorcycle) and am wondering if there is an easy way to automate the deburring/chamfering of the edge produced when facing a cast pad. The horizontal Z depth has just been machined and the vertical XY surface coordinates are the cast surface. This edge is not accurate so running a rigid chamfer tool along the CAD profile will end up with a very irregular chamfer.

Is there any clever way to do this? I'm thinking of a flexible chamfer chamfer tool shaft but have not seen anything similar.

Chris

If I were setting this up I would cast the pad oversized, then mill it down to an appropriate profile. Then you have a known edge to deburr.

We are in the same situation, our robot uses grinders with built-in compliance but we really want run the parts in our CNCs. We will probably use a soft disc backing pad to de-flash. Check out Pushcorp, they do robot compliance grinding.

Thanks for all the responses!

Milling the pad profile merely moves where the irregular chamfer needs to happen to a different location. I try to cast a large chamfer on the perimeter of a pad for a self-creating chamfer but this is not always possible.

The robot compliance approach is cool but way beyond the budget.

The Orbitool is cool but would not work in this case. Maybe a new version with a protecting ring that is lower and smaller than the angled cutting surface would work.

Oh, the files are IN the computer!

A chamfer is nice but a deburr may be what I can get, those brushes seem made for the job. ;)

As always, size matters.

Chris

Thanks for all the responses!

Milling the pad profile merely moves where the irregular chamfer needs to happen to a different location. I try to cast a large chamfer on the perimeter of a pad for a self-creating chamfer but this is not always possible.

The robot compliance approach is cool but way beyond the budget.

The Orbitool is cool but would not work in this case. Maybe a new version with a protecting ring that is lower and smaller than the angled cutting surface would work.

Oh, the files are IN the computer!

A chamfer is nice but a deburr may be what I can get, those brushes seem made for the job. ;)

As always, size matters.

Chris

I have probed raw casting edges to see where they are, and have the program go to macro variable x/y locations based on measurements.

Not quick but you can get uniform chamfers on surfaces that don't repeat that way.

Plus vote on brush steel wire or abrasive brush and hard packed convoluted wheels too.
Contact angle and speed/pressure can give you different many shapes of the "deburr/hone" operation.
This a fiddle fart to figure out. Your first effort will probably not come out so great but be a learning step.
Any of these need an ongoing and continuous comp during runs. Some more than others.
They do make filament abrasive bushes with PCD the grit but insane expensive.
For me a must but I was oh-my heart attack at the price tag.

How important is the shape or the chamfer to use? Is a radius okay. A "waterfall" type edge? How far can the Z be violated?
Perhaps a solid tool to chamfer and a brush to blend?
Bob

Probing the edge is not really an option, it is a series of complex lines/arcs with an occasional spline. Parts are too big to tumble. The abrasive brush will most likely be my solution. A perfect chamfer is desired, a deburr/blend then hand cleanup is acceptable.

Some edges are where gaskets and mating parts bolt, so not much is needed, but some are edges where your hand and arm can pass while working on the parts so need a little something more.

Some of the parts are on instagram under #hypermono. The edge on the cast magnesium is pretty brittle and burrs can be knocked off but the edge does not really get knocked down unless you do something additional. I have the issue on other client parts but can't post pics of them.

Chris

Back