What's new
What's new

Chamfer tools for large chamfers .375 and .25

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I have several jobs I am doing that call for large 45deg chamfers. These have both been in steel 4140, 1018 and Stainless 316.

For the steel I have one that works decent but leaves a lot to be desired.

What are some recommendations? I would prefer to cut it in one pass. the finish for the steel parts is not critical. However on the 316ss parts I have .2" chamfers that require a decent surface finish however the finish is not specified.

I would prefer an indexable tool since I do these parts a lot.

Are these chamfers on the outside edges of prismatic parts, or chamfers on holes?

If outside edges, there's tons of insertable chamfer mills.

AB Tools comes to mind: Multi-Flute Negative Rake Chamfer Hogs | AB Tools, Inc.

Ultradex has 'em, Chamfer Mills – Ultra-Dex USA

No experience on my end, but I know AB Tools is well respected here on PM, so that'd be the first place I looked. I bet it'll be a lot less expensive than a Sandvik :D

If you can navigate through Korloys website they have great on edge chamfer mills. I have one that I can spot with and has 25MM edge length for chamfering. They are a bit on the pricey side but well worth it. Mine has a single square insert that can be indexed 4 times but they run just north of $250 a pop.

I have several jobs I am doing that call for large 45deg chamfers. These have both been in steel 4140, 1018 and Stainless 316.

For the steel I have one that works decent but leaves a lot to be desired.

What are some recommendations? I would prefer to cut it in one pass. the finish for the steel parts is not critical. However on the 316ss parts I have .2" chamfers that require a decent surface finish however the finish is not specified.

I would prefer an indexable tool since I do these parts a lot.
many years ago I used the older sandvik ones I didnt like them, finish wasnt always the best. forget about one pass with a nice even finish aint going to happen on stainless unless your running a very good rigid machine. as that .200 is almost .300(.288 to be exact) surface contact.
if it was me I would rough it a 1/2" 4 flute solid carbide then move over and step down. then use a big solid 4 flute or even 6 flute to finish.
you can do the same with a indexable insert tool but always use a different tool for finish. that way your finish tool doesnt get beat to crap.

also remember the feeds and speed you will need to play with as your using different Dias ie small die at bottom and large dia at top. I generally favor the middle to middle low dia because going to slow rpm and feeds to fast will wear out these tool fast.

Back