What's new
What's new

Changing gears on a Rafamet VTL CNC Retrofit.

assface421

Aluminum
Hello everyone, My shop installed a "new" machine. Maintenance has been slow to get it going over the past few months. It is A Rafamet VTL CNC conversion. The table is 10'6" in diameter. The machine was built in 1966. The CNC Conversion was done in about 2008. It came with very little information. We have not figured out how to change gears. It is currently in low gear. The controller is saying the table is going way faster than it is in reality. Maintenance says they cant find any way of physically changing the gear. So it must be electronic on the controller. I have no Idea how that can be done. All of the other CNC's I have here have a physical lever. I have attached pictures for your enjoyment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

20180507_120304.jpg
20180507_120320.jpg
20180525_103501.jpg
20180627_111348.jpg

Sure it's in low gear? Did the retro filler just bypass the gearbox and use a VFD on the drive? Something to check.

Is that a pic of the operators manual? Is it also a parts manual that might show pictures or
drawings of the gearbox? Have a look at that first. Also, post some pictures of the machine
including the area where the motor connects to the machine. Seems like IF there is a gearbox
it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how it works, and shifts.

Is that a pic of the operators manual? Is it also a parts manual that might show pictures or
drawings of the gearbox? Have a look at that first. Also, post some pictures of the machine
including the area where the motor connects to the machine. Seems like IF there is a gearbox
it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how it works, and shifts.

The operators manual is incomplete. There is nothing of use really. There are a few hand drawn wire diagrams, but that's about it. The Guy who put the thing together cant find a physical lever or a way to change the gears.

Try M41 for low gear and M42 for high gear, might do a gear change or just tell your control that you're selecting low gear and count the RPMs properly.

The operators manual is incomplete. There is nothing of use really. There are a few hand drawn wire diagrams, but that's about it. The Guy who put the thing together cant find a physical lever or a way to change the gears.

Can the guy at least find a gearbox?

Or maybe where there may have been one at one time?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Please post some pix of the BACK of the machine.

Where the table drive motor is as well (if it's not back there)

I don't want to derail this thread, BUT. . Looking at the cover of your "Manual"- Allied Engineering is the shop that your machine came out of- not the company that did the retrofit. Some of the bigger machines are still in the original building in Alameda- is this one still there or???
Anyway- as others said- if it's still got a gearbox, which it probably does, find it. Do you have the parts manual for the iron itself? Details should be in there. Find the shift lever/handle- even if its a manual process to shift the gearbox, there should be limit switches of some type to tell the control what range its in- trace those back to the control and report back. Good luck.

You got a manual with the retrofitter's name and phone number on it . Call them and find out what documentation they have.

That folder came from the previous owners. I don't think they did the retrofit. The controller says it was programed by "Bay area repair".

20180629_074505.jpg

Try M41 for low gear and M42 for high gear, might do a gear change or just tell your control that you're selecting low gear and count the RPMs properly.

Tried that, The table will move real slow for about 10 seconds then nothing.

For what it is worth, it looks like the gearbox is hydraulically shifted. If so you could check if the solenoids are getting a signal from the control when a speed change command is entered.

For what it is worth, it looks like the gearbox is hydraulically shifted. If so you could check if the solenoids are getting a signal from the control when a speed change command is entered.

YA mean that leetl box with the cover off and the terminal strip inside ?

along with the back of solenoids next to the pump ?

Hydraulic system may not be the one that runs the rest of the machine
(might be shaft driven on the input shaft of the xmission, and buried
down inside)

Is the motor turning the right direction ?

is the hydraulic pump ?

Pressure ?

Check the suction filter.

Back