What's new
What's new

Changing grease pack on Brother machines

Matt@RFR

Titanium
2016 R650. It's about time to order my first grease refill. $40. Cool. Except the quote came back with a bunch of warnings saying a tech has to install it, something about a rental tool for $100 per day but it'll void some warranty if you do it yourself.

I imagine we'd be hearing all kinds of screaming from owners about this if it really required a tech to change the grease pack. So are you guys changing these yourselves? Any warnings about the process?

Good question, and I'm keen to hear the answer. I have the grease packs on-hand, for my Speedio S700X1, and it looks like I'll need to install a fresh one soon. Maybe the procedure is completely different between R650 and S700X1 though :scratchchin:.

Regards.

Mike

It literally took less than 20 seconds to change the accordion grease pack on our M140X1. It was so easy that I barely remember how it went on. I believe it was screw-on an go. No need for a purge, bleed, or any of that nonsense.

$40? I think I paid double that.

Hey gents. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the manual for the LHL grease pump system. I don't see anything about special tools and I haven't heard anything otherwise. Change the cartridge with power off, turn on. You may want to bleed. Procedure in the LHL manual, no big deal. All Speedios with Auto Grease use the same system/cartridge.

Yes I have 1 sitting on shelf for use in next few months.

Is it best to wait for "Replace Grease" Alarm or can you replace early

like I prefer to do my maintenance

The only precaution I have taken when changing the "accordion" type grease packs is to make sure that I did not trap an air bubble in the grease. The grease pumps used by Makino had a bleed port where you could burp any trapped air if you got a sizeable bubble in one. Brother may have something similar.

Here's the quote I got:

249137 GREASE PACK 700CC LHL-X100 $40.00 EA IN STOCK

This has to ship via GROUND service.

All prices are each pc.
Quote valid for 30 days from today.
Quote valid for machine model & s/n listed only.
All orders are subject to credit approval and may or may not require a deposit and or prepayment.
Quote for part only, does not include Frt. or installation.
Install must be done by a Yamazen engineer to carry the 6 month warranty from ship date at current service rates.
Install quote on request.
Balancer rental is $100.00 per day for Brother parts installation if used by anyone other than a Yamazen engineer.
In the case of a warranty claim a hard copy purchase order will be required for the warranty part in question. After return of the warranty item and reviewed by the manufacturer a determination of warranty will be advised. The manufacturer has sole discretion in determination of warranty status. If the warranty is approved the purchase order/ Invoice will be voided with the possible exception of labor if applicable & FRT cost.
If after inspection the warranty claim is denied the full amount of the p.o. will be due and payable.

PM inbound Frank, thanks for the help!

No alarm till it's out. the cartridge lasts 6-12 months depending on machine usage. easy to visually inspect. when it gets low change it before it alarms out. new cartridge is about $35

Back