What's new
What's new

Chatter on my end mill

electrotwelve

Plastic
Hi, I recently built my own cartesian style CNC router with 12mm plywood parts. Its mostly an OX style CNC with delrin wheels for linear motion on V-slots. I can mill 6061 aluminium on this but I see a lot of chatter. Here is a video where I'm milling a 5mm hole and as you can see there is a lot of vibration and an awful racket as the mill goes down the material (look at the mist nozzle. Why is this?

CAM was done in Fusion 360. This was a boring operation with a 0.1mm step pitch. Material thickness is 6.7mm. Feed was 260mm/min. The tool is a 4mm 2 flute end mill.

Could this probably be because of the delrin wheel based axes? Would replacing them with a linear shaft and blocks help? Perhaps I'm doing the wrong operation?

Heck, I'm impressed given the materials! :D

If the holes are "precision", maybe try using a reamer after..? It may clean up the chatter, but the location will still only be as good as your machine can do

Why not ask this over on the forums on the Openbuilds website? People over there will have experience with your type of machine and know what it is capable of.

This site focuses on industrial grade machines. In fact if you read the forum rules, discussion of hobby machines is prohibited.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

;)Yes the rigidity of the materials is important for reducing chatter. The factor also of whipping through cutting something which does not have a stable foundation gives my pause for safety reasons most importantly. This is the first time I can recall plywood. Even using material such as aluminum there are still problems with design or not enough support built in as it is. You are not alone here I am sure. Try some videos on you tube on the subject and you will get more good info. I would recommend taking a video of your rig and how you built it and the issues you have. Most all posters are not shy about trial and error and you could give good feedback. Maybe it might even go viral. The important things are lesson learned and no one got severely hurt or injured. Next time run it past your mentor and if you don’t have one place them on order.;)

;)Yes the rigidity of the materials is important for reducing chatter. The factor also of whipping through cutting something which does not have a stable foundation gives my pause for safety reasons most importantly. This is the first time I can recall plywood. Even using material such as aluminum there are still problems with design or not enough support built in as it is. You are not alone here I am sure. Try some videos on you tube on the subject and you will get more good info. I would recommend taking a video of your rig and how you built it and the issues you have. Most all posters are not shy about trial and error and you could give good feedback. Maybe it might even go viral. The important things are lesson learned and no one got severely hurt or injured. Next time run it past your mentor and if you don’t have one place them on order.;)

hehe, will do! And thank you for the info. The idea was to build parts for the router in 6061 Aluminium and thats what the router is milling in the video. I will research some more. The idea is to upgrade the whole machine to linear rails and ball screws (yes right now its on leadscrews and belts).

I would second the notion your doing well, One thing worth trying is just adding mass to the spindle head, more mass the larger the pendulum the slower it wants to vibrate about, its not a perfect fix but it can help get you to the next stage, good luck we all have to start some were!

Back