What's new
What's new

Power Chuck Recommendation for Hardinge Cobra 42

StickShifter

Plastic
Greetings,
I recently acquired a 1997 Hardinge Cobra 42 that is great shape. The original owner only used it for small parts and only used collets. While that worked well for him, I think I will need a chuck for some of the odd ball stuff I want to make.

So, are there any recommendations for a chuck that won't break the bank? This is my first CNC lathe and not sure what features, brands, or styles I should be looking for. I do know that it is an A2-5 mount. The Hardinge recommended chucks are HM-306 and HM308-5. Is it worth it to get the 8" over the 6"?

Thanks,
Kevin

if you do a lot of 8" work, the cobra won't have enough torque to really push in harder metals at the large diameter. I've stalled my spindle plenty of times. 6 in and under works pretty well on the cobra

Thanks. Not a production shop so no need to push too hard. 90% of the work will be in aluminum. Just thinking the 8" would allow more holding options.

Do I need to find a specific chuck style that will work with the Hardinge draw tube?

For lack of anyone else piping up:

I would think that you would likely need to make some sort of adaptor to mate the two - no matter what'chew git.

Just so long as it doesn't have a stem sticking out the back that is too big to fit in the spindle bore and not be able to be removed is all.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back