What's new
What's new

Chevalier FSG 2460 CNC Help!

kapte

Plastic
Good Day,

We just bought a Chevalier surface grinder to our shop.

Chevalier FSG 2460 CNC surface grinder with a Fanuc CNC Express OMC-MCU09506-001 R00

Recently got it functioning and can manually precision grind a workpiece, however due to the immense number of parts that we surface grind we want to use the NC capabilities to provide precise and less labor intensive machining. Since i am a noob at CNC, i could only get it move one direction at a time using simple G01 & G00. I cannot generate a software to perform intermittent surface grinding. Here are some other points regarding this problem / the machine.

• G79 code used for intermittent surface grinding is labelled "undefined" in the Fanuc NC and cannot be used
  • The head holding the grinding wheel can only move in the Y & Z direction. The X direction movement is performed by the grinding table that moves between two adjustable limit switches continuously at a given feed rate.
  • FANUC & Chevalier both dont have any concrete information on how to perform the surface grinding automatically since this is an old machine, manufactured around 1995

I was wondering if there is special Chevalier specific screen on this FANUC control that can help us set the X, Y & total Z range thus informing the machine where to surface grind and by how much.

I have attached a few photos and diagram showing the FANUC control module and the operation we want to perform.

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

Thank you!
Control_Panel.jpgView attachment GrinderOperationDiagaram.PDFHMI_Screen.jpg

Do you have a list of M codes for the machine?

Should be pretty straight forward to write a simple macro that will allow you to just punch in dimensions you want.

I had a Mitsui 618 with a fanuc OM control, same setup with x axis but set by optical limit switches at the control. Is there a conversational page at AUX? If not, you can just program it to feed down across with regular g codes. I wrote a subprogam for Z depth. Id just call it as many times as needed to get to final depth/sparkout.

I do have a list of M Codes. I have a couple questions if you could answer them.
a) What is the need to use macros? ( Since i am a new user i am not comfortable using macros )

b) How would the machine know when to move in the Z or Y axis ? How can we get the signal from the X axis limit switches to interact with our G code.

c) with G79 unusable would you just make a loop using G01/G00

I have added the M codes here. Thank You!

View attachment FSG_MCode_compressed.pdf

There seems to be an AUX graph screen (attached with the Original Post) I have tried entering values but the CNC doesnt proceed ahead from that screen. I did write a simple G program that lowers in Z axis and moves in Y axis but i dont know how to integrate the table reaching one end for the action to occur and not randomly while the grinder is in the middle of the work bench ie workpiece.

Any help with that would be great, Thank you!

On my machine, the AUX screen allowed you to enter values into the conversational program. This will only work if the macros that the machine builder installed are still there. Also, just like running a program, the program wont start unless the wheel is spinning and on my machine, unless coolant pump is on. The x end limit switches should signal the y feed to either move a preprogrammed amount per end to end traverse or feed continuously until the table stops in Y.

Back