What's new
What's new

Chicago CNC tech to check out a used turning center for me?

red beard

Cast Iron
I'm looking a buying a turning center that's in Chicago (South Elgin). I would like to have it checked out before purchasing it. It's only about a 3-1/2 hour drive from here (although this time of year it could be 4 hours+ depending on the weather.), but I was wondering about hiring an independent service tech to check it out for me rather than losing a full day of work.

I think I would prefer an independent tech over one working for a dealer, as a dealer might tell me it's junk hoping to steer me toward one of their machines.

Do any of you know a good, trustworthy service tech around Chicago?

That's almost 3 hours drive for me too. Possibly I could check it out on the cheap when I'm in Chicago hell for some other reason. Not sure how soon that would be, but usually a few times a month.

We use McKenna Service for support on our old Acroloc machine. They are pretty close to there. They might be able to help you.

I have done CNC checkouts once in a while in my many years of teaching CNC use to shops.
Here is what I usually did on a CNC lathe:
Start main motor and Hydraulic system. Use chuck and tailstock.
Do a zero return, use rapid, feed and handwheel.
Check backlash with indicator.
Chuck a part.
Take a small OD cut, measure and adjust for size.
Set up first job with customer, run and check parts.
Call me with any questions:
Heinz at 614-888-8466 (doccnc)
Set up tool coordinates, write a very simple program

That's almost 3 hours drive for me too. Possibly I could check it out on the cheap when I'm in Chicago hell for some other reason. Not sure how soon that would be, but usually a few times a month.

That might work. I will PM you my contact info and see if we can work something out.

I'm planning on having ewlsey do the inspection if it will work out with his schedule, but in case he can't I am open to other suggestions.

Last edited:
So far it hasn't worked out for ewlsey to look at the machine for me. I checked with another company that Wes had referred me to, but they only work on Mazaks so they weren't interested.

I checked with McKenna. They were willing to do it, but they're about an hour away, so I'd have to pay an extra 2 hours worth of labor for the drive time. They seemed like good people though, and I may still have them do it if nothing else works out.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm still looking for a service tech near Elgin, IL.

Sorry. I'm in San Francisco about to get on a plane home.

No worries. I understand it doesn't make any sense for you to go look at it unless you have another reason to be out in that area. I'm not expecting you to make a special trip just for me.

I'm not in a huge rush, but I think the salesman is. He keeps emailing me.

I ended up using McKenna to inspect the machine. Everything checked out good, and he charged less than his estimate. I would definitely use him again.

Thanks for the recommendation robert123.

Back