What's new
What's new

Chip build up in chuck

2begin

Plastic
We have a bar feeder on a CNC lathe utilizing a chuck. We have damage 2 draw tubes in the last year and the manufacture is telling us that this is due to a build up of chips in the chuck. Since this is a bar feed I can not clean these chips out after every part as we do on all of our other machines so what can we do. The chuck manufacturer told me to put a rubber stop (with a hole for the material) into the through hole but how do I hole it in. What have others done?:scratchchin:

We have a bar feeder on a CNC lathe utilizing a chuck. We have damage 2 draw tubes in the last year and the manufacture is telling us that this is due to a build up of chips in the chuck. Since this is a bar feed I can not clean these chips out after every part as we do on all of our other machines so what can we do. The chuck manufacturer told me to put a rubber stop (with a hole for the material) into the through hole but how do I hole it in. What have others done?:scratchchin:

can you clarify that?
does your chuck not have a sleeve that keeps the chips out of the jaws? those are tandard on pretty much all chucks.
got a picture of the chuck where chips are getting in?
what type of chuck what type of machine.

when you say draw tubes being damaged I am guessing its the front threads?

I'm really thinking someone didnt put the sleeve back in the chuck.

With the tiny amount of info provided we don't really have a clear picture of what you're up against, so I'm going to take a stab in the dark and ask if you can put a piece of rubber in there with a hole that is slightly smaller then the bar. The tight hole would hold it in place on the bar, and it would have to be big enough on the outside to push up against the back of the chuck when the bar feeder does its thing.

If its a collet setup there are internal threads generally in the collet that you can make a plug with a hole in it and thread it into the backside of the collet before installation. If there aren't any threads a slight press fit will work well especially in polyurethane.

If its a chucker with a Kitigawa chuck or similar there's a dust shield that mounts with three screws on the face of the chuck. You can make a plug out of plastic or scrap and give it a slight press fit into the dust shield and knock it out later.

Also make sure that your chuck is engaging the threads properly inspect the chuck threads for damage/wear.

Got a picture? I only have that problem if I am making parts with a through hole out of slugs, then I just put a rubber plug in the through hole of the chuck.

Back