What's new
What's new

Custom CNC Camera Part - Anyone want to do a trade?

wyo22ski

Plastic
Hello,

I'm a professional studio photographer and have a design for a camera part that I'd like to have made. I also need some practical advice on tolerances, etc. Basically, the part I'm looking to make is an X/Y axis (vertical and horizontal) shifting lens mount. My final CAD isn't fully complete as I still need to answer the questions of dovetailed sliding tolerances/lubrication, but will send my CAD file and additional drawings to any interested parties.

The X/Y-adapter would mount to the camera with the first dovetailed plate controlling vertical motion and the second plate controlling horizontal motion. There is an adapter currently on the market that does something similarly, but only in one axis. I actually own two of the adapters ( MIREX-Adapter für die besondere Fotografie ) which inspired my design. The adapter I've drawn uses a helical rack and pinion to precisely move the plates and adds the second axis of travel. The adapter also integrates two ball spring plungers to help indicate zero on the +/- X/Y axis. Lastly, even though it is a lens adapter, the lens actually stays stationary since the adapter has a tripod mount--the camera (640g) will actually be shifting up/down and side to side. The final part needs to be anodized in black.

So here's the rub. I've temporarily hung my camera up to raise my little boy (20 months today) and won't return to full-time work until he's in school. That leaves me little to no budget. My wife (bread winner) will likely OK some costs (materials and shipping), but I'm certain time on the CNC and advice will add up. I'm always asked to do things for free and won't ask anyone to work for free. So with that in mind, would anyone want to make a trade? I'll photograph a few of your featured projects while my son naps. The finished photos will be something you can use on your website, advertising etc. In return, you can help finalize my design and fabricate it?

I'm happy to send a link to my work for reference. I'm based in NYC and have photographed commercially for over twenty years

Hello AJ,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, something somewhat similar. The Kipon shift adapter (and the Mirex) offer only single axis shift with an additional tilt function. The one I'm designing, takes the tilt function away and adds a second shift for the other axis. Also, instead of depressing the silver metal "button" to shift the lens, my design uses a rack and pinion (pre-manufacture in brass) and a spring plunger to indicate the neutral position. The simplicity of the Kipon and Mirex are impressive--I've taken them apart--but neither are as fluid in use.

My photographer charges me about $45-$90 per new part, photographed and uploaded to our website. That's not even one hour of our shop time. Do you know any investors?

I read this thread in the morning and thought the same thing as mhajicek.

If you have the skills or can source them to complete a design, this is the kind of thing that would do well on a kicksstarter program. Unlike the hobby-grade milling machine everyone tore to pieces last week, this is a small part with relatively low risk for the consumer / backer.

Any good shop with a good designer would be happy to take your business if you put in the effort to get funding via something like kickstarter. (This is precisely the kind of work I do in my small shop).

If you can learn something inexpensive like Fusion 360 (free for startups) in your free time, you can develop a working model of your design and create some media to help you convince people to fund it. Outside of coming up with the money to pay a machinist, I think that's going to be your best bet.

Or you call someone like me who already has an established brand in the industry and just bought a 4 axis Speedio expressly with the intent of being able to rapidly prototype/produce new ideas to this market efficiently...

@lumalabs on Instagram. Shoot me a DM.

I suppose it could be in which case it probably wouldn't be worth the squeeze for anyone. As it stands, I'm finalizing my CAD drawings and using some off the shelf rack and pinion gearing from sdp-si.com Obviously, I'll pay for the materials, but it is the time on the machine that will be the challenge.

I guess I would have to photograph many parts to make it work at that rate, but you'd get to keep the cash. I'm not opposed to discussing :) Being in NYC, I know lots of people with $$$, but I guess I need to determine how much this part will really cost. Someone says a couple thousand dollars...I think it can probably be done for way less...but maybe I'm completely mad. I haven't really thought about bringing this adapter to market, but maybe I should.

As an aside, AJ earlier gave a link to the Kipon Adapter. It is my understanding that the Kipon adapter is basically a knock-off of the Mirex Adapter (made in Germany), but the Kipon is made in Asia for about 1/2 the price at $300.

Hi cwtoyota,

Thanks for you thoughts. I think this piece is so niche that it's more of an esoteric exercise in the capabilities of my understanding of mechanics. Probably not much need for it out there amongst photographers. Maybe I'm wrong. Besides shooting products, I shoot architecture (well at least I will be when I return full time to work). This adapter is geared more for me as an architecture photographer where precision of gearing and layout of the XY control knobs is much more intuitive and relaxing to use. I do like your idea of Kickstarter, and maybe that is the best way to approach the fund raising. The general consensus thus far is that it will cost way more than anyone is willing.

I've been using Fusion 360 and am loving the program. As I finish up the drawings (adding the CAD for rack, pinion, knobs) etc., I hope to animate it to show its full capability.

Olympus built 24/35mm shift lenses the way you're describing for OM film cameras

I can't help with machining, and your design sounds excellent, but you might be interested in a past implementation. I used to own Olympus shift lenses that were made similarly as you describe, with dovetail ways for both vertical and horizontal shift movements damped with felt pads. They are still available on eBay (not cheap). Best of luck!

If you can
Hello,

I'm a professional studio photographer and have a design for a camera part that I'd like to have made. I also need some practical advice on tolerances, etc. Basically, the part I'm looking to make is an X/Y axis (vertical and horizontal) shifting lens mount. My final CAD isn't fully complete as I still need to answer the questions of dovetailed sliding tolerances/lubrication, but will send my CAD file and additional drawings to any interested parties.

The X/Y-adapter would mount to the camera with the first dovetailed plate controlling vertical motion and the second plate controlling horizontal motion. There is an adapter currently on the market that does something similarly, but only in one axis. I actually own two of the adapters ( MIREX-Adapter für die besondere Fotografie ) which inspired my design. The adapter I've drawn uses a helical rack and pinion to precisely move the plates and adds the second axis of travel. The adapter also integrates two ball spring plungers to help indicate zero on the +/- X/Y axis. Lastly, even though it is a lens adapter, the lens actually stays stationary since the adapter has a tripod mount--the camera (640g) will actually be shifting up/down and side to side. The final part needs to be anodized in black.

So here's the rub. I've temporarily hung my camera up to raise my little boy (20 months today) and won't return to full-time work until he's in school. That leaves me little to no budget. My wife (bread winner) will likely OK some costs (materials and shipping), but I'm certain time on the CNC and advice will add up. I'm always asked to do things for free and won't ask anyone to work for free. So with that in mind, would anyone want to make a trade? I'll photograph a few of your featured projects while my son naps. The finished photos will be something you can use on your website, advertising etc. In return, you can help finalize my design and fabricate it?

I'm happy to send a link to my work for reference. I'm based in NYC and have photographed commercially for over twenty years

Back