What's new
What's new

Chiron FZ26L - Fanuc M10 restoration

RustyRSA

Plastic
Hi All,

I have inherited the role of restoring a rather large and old milling machine. The owners want to use this machine for training youngsters entering mechanical-electrical-pneumatic-electronic engineering careers in Robotics and Machining.

It's a CHIRON FZ26L with a Fanuc M10 controller and a 36 piece tool changer. There are 4 x I/O cards forming part of the system.

This machine has been gathering dust for about 5 years. Over the past few weeks I have been dusting it off, greasing it and getting the pneumatics, motors, electrics, electronics and mechanics to work.

One obstacle is that most of the manuals I found are in German. English is my home language.

This is a fantastic machine given its year of build (1987) - quite extraordinary engineering.

I now need some help as I do have some minor issues I am trying to clear - and most of that stems from a lack of functionality knowledge of this system.

1. Does anyone know where I can get an operational manual (or suite of manuals) in English that focuses on setting up the system and performing basic I/O checks?
2. I have an I/O issue on one of the cards and would like some form of schematic purely to check the nature of the issue.
The problem I/O card is an A038-0801-C141 unit (OD64A module)
The PCB is an A016B-1310-0093/02A card.
The I/O 'chips' on the PCB are DV30 01MC31 units. I suspect one or more of these to be faulty.
3. Occasionally I get a 'Fibre Optic' error on the motherboard but feel this issue stems from something else that is not happy. I have been clearing issues as I find them and (if this error does not materialise) I can get the mechanics system to work and can zero the machine.
4. I am also looking for a 'hardware error' manual to determine the POST values and errors displayed on the motherboard.

I have included a number of photos to help synch you with what I am dealing with.

Any help/direction will be appreciated.

Titch
20200604_110217.jpg20200608_084817.jpg20200620_105703.jpg20200620_105813.jpg

Google for "Fanuc 10 maintenance manual" and you should find some sites where you can download a scanned copy.

I doubt you will find a schematic of the I/O module. I've never seen one. though I've never really looked too hard. The machine builder's wiring schematic should show what devices are connected each specific pin of an I/O module. It is then pretty simple to trace which DV30 module drives the output. One used to be able to buy those from Fanuc. I have not since maybe 20 years ago so don't know if they are still available. Salvage or repaired modules available from ebay or places like TIE are still an option. Pretty cheaply too for salvage units. Shipping to South Africa may not be though.

The c fiber error is sometimes caused by a noisy power supply module on one of the fiber connected units. Typically those are on the main CNC, the I/O rack, and the operator panel. Remove and replace all the electrolytic caps in the power supplies as a first measure.

I've never seen a manual that details the addresses in POST errors. Do you have a POST error? If so, is it RAM PARITY?

Many thanks. I will get back on this machine pretty soon and let you know how i get on. Thanks for the pointers.

Back