What's new
What's new

Chlorinated paraffins in soluble coolant

chip_maker

Stainless
Have Chlorinated paraffins been removed from coolants?

Been reading some threads about people unhappy with their current coolants, and it's not just one brand.

There was some info regarding the epa and the push to ban them but the press release on qualichems website is a few years old and there isn't an update. It also doesn't list a date as to when they will be banned.

I'm moving my shop and thinking about changing coolants. We run qualichem xtreme cut 232 now. It was great when I first started using it, but something has changed and I'm looking for something new.

Considering Trim E906 or 690xt.

Last edited:
From what I understand yes, it was a move to make coolant California compliant. We have used Trim E206 for years, & have noticed a major difference with the coolant in the last year or so.

The chlorinated paraffins thing goes back to the early 80s as part of the Used Oil regulations. Long story short, the EPA did a terrible job researching prior to promulgating the final rules, and we got several decades of bizarre interpretation in the meantime.

Bottom line is using non-chlorinated emulsion products saves you time and money in testing and disposal costs (so long as your waste contractor is following the regs - many don't).

I've used both 250C and 251C and both are non-chlorinated and have worked well for us in milling, turning, and grinding operations.

Back