Chopped Up Finish - Indexable End Mill on AL - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

even shitty inserts should have done better then that, are you running the spindle backwards?

2. Likes Bobw, cameraman, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need to sell that as a "deep textured jeweled surface" @ $5.00/ square inch. I honestly didn't know it was machined the first time I looked at it......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for everybody’s help (and jokes, def joke worthy). Bought a Kennametal Dodeka 45 Mini plus Kennametal inserts for both Al & steel. $800 later this better be a nice finish :-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sdinzy View Post
    Thanks for everybody’s help (and jokes, def joke worthy). Bought a Kennametal Dodeka 45 Mini plus Kennametal inserts for both Al & steel. $800 later this better be a nice finish :-D
    you wasted your money on thise particular project as your problem was the set-up not the tool. now you will just get a $800 + material and time scrap part rather than a cheaper one.
    another words your just putting lip stick on a pig

6. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    you wasted your money on thise particular project as your problem was the set-up not the tool. now you will just get a $800 + material and time scrap part rather than a cheaper one.
    another words your just putting lip stick on a pig
    As I mentioned earlier, changing the order of operations so that the part was more rigid when this facing occurred is/was easy, and this new Dodeka is working great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I mentioned earlier, changing the order of operations so that the part was more rigid when this facing occurred is/was easy, and this new Dodeka is working great.
    Got pictures?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regardless of others opinions, keep the TPG face mill. Use it for cutting down weld beads or flame cut edges or other hard spots. The TPG inserts may break, but they are the cheapest available. Basically, use the TPG where you are afraid of trashing a quality face mill with expensive inserts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your original TPG insert looked like wiper inserts with a very large wiper interface. The theory is good, but application is questionable. I agree that you can salvage this cutter with some bog standard TPG-322 or 321 inserts. Hacking down welds and other grungy machining is the province of these inserts. I inherited a crapload of them with some machining stuff I bought out of the gate, the machine equipment was from 1984 and I think most of the tooling was too. I did a lot of boring with a TPG-322 Kennemetal boring bar, it worked fine and is a good tool for a manual machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    shear hogs from ABtools.com or Ripper mills from Latheinserts.com

I run both and have for years on alum with great luck ,, but I well say with the finish your getting it has to be a bad setup as much as wrong tooling for the material.

I have also had good luck with the cheap-O face mills from Latheinserts.com ,, he has some alum inserts that seem to hold up for months and you cant go wrong on them for like $7 each ,,, I have one mill setup on a nonstop production part and its been a year on the same inserts and the finish it still holding ...

can either of you two hit on the surface finishes attainable by the ripper mills? that is my MAIN focus looking into a new facemill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sirAIG View Post
    can either of you two hit on the surface finishes attainable by the ripper mills? that is my MAIN focus looking into a new facemill.

Rippers make a VERY smooth finish. I can see swirls on the surface but can't detect any by feel. Sanding with 600 on an orbital sander doesn't pick them up either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why would you put these inserts in this endmill body?
    Someone recommend this to you? Did you want to make your life difficult?
    Or just did not know or understand and bought the first you found?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sirAIG View Post
    I gotta weasel out with saying that it's much more dependent on fixturing and programming; given time and some money I could give you the part you showed cut with your original tooling and it would be quite smooth. But if I had a foreman or boss they'd be yelling at me for the time I took to get there.

Good thing I'm my own boss, so the only folks who yell at me are my customers. Uhh, crap...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i mentioned earlier changing your setup and for 800 bucks less you could have had a perfect finish

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not OP Chopped Up Finish - Indexable End Mill on AL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those high shear tools also generate a lot of upward pull when cutting. To get good results it's even more important to have a rigid setup. I have a Shear Hog and have used it on a variety of projects and alloys, it's extremely important to restrain any drops and prevent the part from flexing. The finish can be quite good, but feeds and speeds are critical to performance, as well as the nose radius.