What's new
What's new

Chuck acutator troubles - Stationary unit movement when clamped - 2004 KIA 15LMS

split141

Plastic
Evening everyone.

I have a 2004 Kia 15LMS I bought used. I saw it in person running and making chips. This was not a problem I remember seeing. The lathe has a Samchully SYH-1245cc-k hydraulic chuck actuator. From the literature, it looks like the newer Samchully SYH-1246 is very close in build.

My issue is when clamped, the actuator runs up and down about .025" when the spindle is turning and the unit is clamped. When un-clamped, the unit moves up and down .005". I removed the unit and draw tube as one. I then removed the run-out with the unit and its adapter. Then I removed the run-out between the adapter and the spindle adapter when the unit is installed. I believed I had fixed the issue, but the second it was clamped, the up and down movement came back on the stationary body of the unit. Could this be caused by a bent draw tube? When bench checking the unit it didn't appear to be bent. Obviously my issues arise when clamped. I've tried from 10 kgf/cm of pressure to the max factory limit of 27. Not much change in up and down movement.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I would like to get this thing running, seeing as this is the last thing it needs.

Is it possible the draw tube has a crack in it that allows it to bend when under load? I did have a draw tube snap on me once. There was no catastrophic event that lead to it. It must have just been fatigue. It might be worth it to replace it to be sure. They're not insanely expensive. I think I ordered from these guys. CNC Lathe Accessories Spindle Liners

Curious what your run out was???

Rotating Cylinders require 0.0005" TIR

Before installation indicate the adapter to the cylinder
Install and indicate adapter to the spindle

Update for everyone. The spindle flange adapter was loose. My guess is the old owners had to change the drive belt, and incorrectly reinstalled the locking nut. I was able to apply .02" of forward and back movement with just my hands. Tightened the nut and the run out when clamped went away. I also got TIR of the cylinder to adapter to be .0004". Then adapter to spindle flange to .0005". Unfortunately, due to the machine running like this for awhile (I'm guessing) the housing still moves up and down when installed .006". Bearings are likely needed by EOY. This will get me moving for now. Thanks for the help.

Back