What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Milacron Avenger 200MS Acramatic 850SX Not powering up operator control

rosie

Hot Rolled
Cincinnati Milacron Avenger 200MS 1994 with Acramatic 850SX Not powering up operator contol

First and foremost:
Thank you for all input in advance. Normally I have called up the factory, however since COVID started all the knowledgeable people are no longer there and these machines are “No longer Supported”. Plus I’ve not needed to diagnose machine breakdowns with the manuals. So I feel green to machine repairs now.

My Control Screen/Monitor doesn’t show anything. I turn the main power on using the main switch on the electrical cabinet. Then press start on the operator’s control panel. I do see components inside the electrical cabinet starting up so the button is engaging something however I do not see any of the buttons light up for a second like I’m used to seeing and then there is not “Host Control Initializing” viewing on the screen. The screen actually looks like it’s not functioning, however I doubt the actual screen went out because the buttons should still light up.

Any directions or sequences you could point out would be appreciated. I believe I have most of the repair manuals and am going to start looking at them in a day or so, however I thought I would see if others have had this issue.......or I'll have started a Thread for future issues on this.

Thank you,
Rosie

I believe there's a power supply to the control itself, that may be tripped. With power off, open the main cabinets and check for popped circuit breakers and/or blown fuses.

Short and simple I think something wasn't making a good connection on the “DC POWER DISTRIBUTION SUBASSEMLY” I'm referencing page 4-2-3 of the Control Reference Manual Publication No. 7-000-0738CR May 1992. If you look at page 3-2-5 you'll see the Power supply part number 3-424-2082A.

Below is my sequence of events if anyone cares.

I checked all the circuit breakers in the electrical cabinet, and the two 5Amp fuses on the PCA (You need to open the door on the PCA to gain access.) All was good.

I skipped ahead and swapped out this power supply because I had one handy. And if I remember correctly I had changed this a year or so ago with guidance from the factory. I put in a used powersupply from a parts machine. I did notice that the connection of the 3 wired plug (GRN, BLU, BRN) on the machine side had smoke/dust as if something was arching. I have no idea if those marks were new or not.( I’m certain this power supply had been changed once by me in the past at a minimum. All Pins looked clean and in good condition.)

I then figured I should start checking the voltages on the DIMP BOARD (Slot #7 on the far right of the PCA. Reference Page 4-2-3). As I was measuring the voltages of +5, -5, +12, -15, +15 I slipped with one of my VOM leads somewhere between +12 and -15. I’m not sure if I contacted both while holding on to the ground with my other lead, however I think I made contact with both at the same time. At this time I saw some LED’s light up and change on some boards that I was way too close to with the power on. I thought I goofed something up so I went and looked at the CRT. I saw that the machine was powered up and looked operational.

I powered the machine down and put the original “DC POWER DISTRIBUTION SUBASSEMBLY” back in. I powered it up and checked the voltages again semi hoping the voltages would have been off/not good. To my disbelief and all the voltages measured good. I really wish I would have checked the voltages before swapping components to see what might have been causing the issue, however on the flip side my power supply seems good…..and I didn’t throw it in the junk pile or label it needing repairs and putting back on the shelf.

Thanks again,
Rosie

****************Side Note*******************
With Cincinnati Milacron “No longer supporting” the Avengers that I have, and I’d imagine other similar machines ..... I’m curious to know if there could/should be a CNC Cincinnati Milacron Section. This could be very helpful in the future. I’m noticing a couple of others asking for help on these.

With Cincinnati Milacron “No longer supporting” the Avengers that I have, and I’d imagine other similar machines ..... I’m curious to know if there could/should be a CNC Cincinnati Milacron Section. This could be very helpful in the future. I’m noticing a couple of others asking for help on these.

Doesn't Siemens support the controls?

I haven't called Siemens. I talked to FIVES about 2 weeks ago on a machine I picked up to see if I could get it running or use it for parts. Factory Support "FIVES" (from what I've heard from others) let go the good support people on the older machines at the start of COVID. The person I was speaking to at FIVES said that Siemens "Designed most of the control and had support available for me." To be honest I figured they were just pushing me off and passing the buck. I didn't check yet. For about 15 years of me having this machine one guy was spot on at helping me. He saved me lots of time on many occurences. I'd like to have access to him and compensate him if I could get in contact with him. I don't want to openly use names, however if someone knows how to contact him I'd appreciate it.

They do, sort of. Last time I called asking how to determine what part I needed to order, I was told that I'd have to pay $300 to ask a tech question for a 'legacy' machine before I could place the order for the part. That was about 5 years ago, I haven't called back since.

Mike is quite active on the yahoo group [email protected]

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right "Yahoo Groups" This is a the link I was on for a bit looking for.

Yahoo! Groups

There is a note that states:

"Announcement: End of Yahoo Groups
We’re shutting down the Yahoo Groups website on December 15, 2020 and members will no longer be able to send or receive emails from Yahoo Groups. Yahoo Mail features will continue to function as expected and there will be no changes to your Yahoo Mail account, emails, photos or other inbox content. There will also be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services. You can find more information about the Yahoo Groups shutdown and alternative service options on this help page."

I've been chasing my arse around lately trying to keep up. I know you've mentioned him on a yahoo group in the past, however I have not really taken the time. Please let me know if I'm looking in the right place and I'll look into joining.

Thank you,
Rosie

S

I'm also interested in a section like that, I recently bought a Hawk 150 and I just experienced a problem with the machine not powering up and lost a job over that because the machine broke just the day before the due date.

The great Mike is very knowledgeable in this machines but he's based in Detroit and I'm in Chino, Ca. and very difficult for me to fly in Mike just to troubleshoot a power supply issue.

He's more than happy to help over the phone though.

Back