What's new
What's new

Citizen L20 polar interpolaton milling.

jetfuelgenius

Aluminum
Can anyone help me out on my new Citizen. I'm new to the swiss automatic.
I need to mill a simple two flat shape on a .188 dia bar.
Using tool 33 with .1875 diameter mill. Milling per attachment.
Trying to use the same approach as my 3 axis lathe hasn't worked.
Please help.

Attachments

• Pin snipped.JPG
    Pin snipped.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 147
Is your T33 in a face or cross configuration? I assume cross unless you have a mill with a corner radius that falls within the radius tolerance.

I have a fair bit of experience on L20s, I can probably help with more information. Care to post the snippet of code that isn't working, and what the tool is doing as coded?

I can work up a bit of code for you but it would be helpful to see what you have already to understand where the issue is. Do you have any other tools on the 30s stations? That can dictate whether you need to cut on the x or y axis.

Edit: I'm also not seeing the need for polar interpolation, looks to be a straight line cut to me.

Last edited:
Ok, different story then. All four of our L20s have a Y-axis on the sub spindle side, my bad assuming they all had that.

Do you have a G17 after the G12.1 call? That could be causing your issue. Your tool should also be positioned somewhere away from the start of the cut before calling cutter comp. I'm not sure how your 3-axis lathe likes it but Citizen wants the tools to be moving in the direction of the cut, at least a little bit, when calling a G41 or G42.

Edit: I'm not 100% it is necessary but I always have a decimal after any C axis move, even zero, so the C0 is C0. -- I've run into intermittent issues in the past because of that.

G12.1 D1 E=C
G17(!!)
G1 X.3 Z.095 F6.(!!)

G1G42X.125C0
C.0425
X-.125
C-.0425
X.125
C.2
G0Z-.1
G40Z-.2
G13.1

Do you have a G17 after the G12.1 call? That could be causing your issue. Your tool should also be positioned somewhere away from the start of the cut before calling cutter comp. I'm not sure how your 3-axis lathe likes it but Citizen wants the tools to be moving in the direction of the cut, at least a little bit, when calling a G41 or G42.

Edit: I'm not 100% it is necessary but I always have a decimal after any C axis move, even zero, so the C0 is C0. -- I've run into intermittent issues in the past because of that.

G12.1 D1 E=C
G17(!!)
G1 X.3 Z.095 F6.(!!)

G1G42X.125C0
C.0425
X-.125
C-.0425
X.125
C.2
G0Z-.1
G40Z-.2
G13.1

Thank you. I will give this a try this morning.

Back