What's new
What's new

Clamping System for CNC Machine Drilling

Achievable

Plastic
This is my first machine. Its practical application is drilling holes in 1/8" thick aluminum angles along the x-axis.

I'm having trouble figuring out an appropriate clamping system. For now, we have as depicted, clamps with 330lb clamping force on each side of the angles. We have them on the sides, as to avoid interfering with the holes to be drilled along the center of the angle. I'm aware this is rudimentary, and as such, I'm reaching out for help.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Upon solving this issue, we are ready to manufacture!

Regards,
Austin Rouse
IMG-3882.jpg
IMG-3883.jpg
IMG-3884.jpg
IMG-3885.jpg

This is my first machine. Its practical application is drilling holes in 1/8" thick aluminum angles along the x-axis.

I'm having trouble figuring out an appropriate clamping system. For now, we have as depicted, clamps with 330lb clamping force on each side of the angles. We have them on the sides, as to avoid interfering with the holes to be drilled along the center of the angle. I'm aware this is rudimentary, and as such, I'm reaching out for help.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Upon solving this issue, we are ready to manufacture!

Regards,
Austin Rouse
View attachment 250192
View attachment 250193
View attachment 250194
View attachment 250195

What's the problem you're having with your current setup?

Edit: also, you might consider removing the pictures in which you can identify the machine because discussion of those types of machines is against the rules here. Workholding problems in general are fine but your thread might get locked if it's workholding on a hobby-grade machine.

I would make a aluminum subplate with pins that reference the back of the angle. Thread holes directly in front of the drilled locations for toe clamps to clamp the angle.
If your hole pattern is longer than your travel make holes in the fixture to pin off of previously drilled holes to index the angle

You're on the right track. A bit easier ;if you have a couple of matching vises with step jaws and a couple of screw jacks in-between the vises.

When it comes to clamping-- its hard to beat an Armstrong C-Clamp. Tried some 20 years ago and now it's the only C-clamp in the shop. The next useful clamp for me is the F-Clamp from Bessey or Stronghand. This style has a greater range per clamp-- but are not as rigid.

Back