What's new
What's new

Clausing Kondia B-500 Parts Availability

johfoster

Cast Iron
I bid on a Kondia B-500 (1993) with a non-op Dynapath controller, because at the time I thought I would have a truck coming right through the part of the country where it's located with a guy who could load it up for me. Turns out I do not, so now what would have probably been around $1k landed is looking more like $2500 plus. Not sure either would be worth it really, but oh well win some/lose some.

I figured it is worth asking if this machine is going to be all end-of-life parts, or if clausing is still supporting them in any way. It seems that these were a fairly well made machine in their time, and that they did still have parts support as of ~6yrs ago from what I have researched on it. It looks clean and decently well kept, but also comes from an educational environment which in my experience means an extreme condition. Either extremely great shape, or extremely worn out.

Any info on this machine is much appreciated, and feel free to make fun of what position you think I am in getting it for probably close to $3k in not working unknown shape. :bawling: It is what it is though. I would be happy to get a machine that I can play around with, but doesn't need to make me money so it's not the end of the world. Thanks for any replies.

b-500 mill.jpg

Last edited:
Not much info out there on these it seems. Worked a way to get it picked up for cheaper again, so feel better about it now if it isn't worth fixing. Here is some more pictures of the machine so this thread has something to look at, at least.

4233_819_4.jpg
4233_819_6.jpg
4233_819_8.jpg
4233_819_13.jpg
4233_819_14.jpg

Don't know anything about the iron....

Yaskawa servos and spindle are good, high quality, but old. The Autocon label along with the Dynapath label makes me think this is really early Dynapath. There was some tie-in between Dynapath and Autocon (Bendix IIRC) but I don't know the details. A long time ago when I did service work on Tree machines with Dynapath, they were really good about support. That's been a long time ago so things may be different now.

If it comes with a good wiring diagram and a hardcopy of the PIC program (ladder in Dynapath speak), I'd say it should not be to tough to make it operational. Without at least those two documents it will be a much more difficult job and maybe mean a retrofit.

I have the machine here now, but haven't had a chance to look it over very in depth. I also can't hook it to power for a few weeks at the minimum anyhow.

The mechanics look like they are in good shape from a visual inspection, and I doubt anything is worn beyond use. I am still waiting for the manuals and any other documentation they had to arrive, as the main person I dealt with was gone when it was picked up. Hopefully they send over a good amount of stuff for it.

Back