What's new
What's new

Clearance around Sharp SV-2412S

valensdiesel

Plastic
Hey all,

First, the quick line of inquiry, then the rest: How much clearance do you actually need around the SV-2412S? Manual from Sharp says 800 mm in the back. I can make this fit, but if I could get away with less, I'd like to. The lateral dimensions are all fine. Normally I'm a by-the-book type of guy, but given limited space, it would be nice to save some extra room.

As for the "about me" portion, I'm new to the forum (longtime lurker) looking to pick up a secondhand SV-2412S for my garage. Mostly do small-scale prototyping for hobby projects, but I'd really like to add CNC to my existing all-manual garage shop (Tree 2-UVR and 13" Leblond Regal). I've got a low garage door, which severely constrains my options for a VMC, and of the machines I can identify that fit, I've pretty much settled on the SV-2412S. Before I take the plunge though, I'd like to determine exactly how much room I'll have left for future expansion, and obviously siting a ~6k lb machine is something you only want to do once if you can help it.

Can anyone tell me why Sharp selected that clearance? Is there a door or access panel in the back that might require almost 3 feet of clearance to properly access, or is there a thermal demand that requires adequate airspace to cool, or did the engineers just figure that was a reasonable number (I doubt it's this last one)?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hey all,

First, the quick line of inquiry, then the rest: How much clearance do you actually need around the SV-2412S? Manual from Sharp says 800 mm in the back. I can make this fit, but if I could get away with less, I'd like to. The lateral dimensions are all fine. Normally I'm a by-the-book type of guy, but given limited space, it would be nice to save some extra room.

As for the "about me" portion, I'm new to the forum (longtime lurker) looking to pick up a secondhand SV-2412S for my garage. Mostly do small-scale prototyping for hobby projects, but I'd really like to add CNC to my existing all-manual garage shop (Tree 2-UVR and 13" Leblond Regal). I've got a low garage door, which severely constrains my options for a VMC, and of the machines I can identify that fit, I've pretty much settled on the SV-2412S. Before I take the plunge though, I'd like to determine exactly how much room I'll have left for future expansion, and obviously siting a ~6k lb machine is something you only want to do once if you can help it.

Can anyone tell me why Sharp selected that clearance? Is there a door or access panel in the back that might require almost 3 feet of clearance to properly access, or is there a thermal demand that requires adequate airspace to cool, or did the engineers just figure that was a reasonable number (I doubt it's this last one)?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Usually it's in the back of the book with an outline drawing of the machine, showing bolt holes for concrete, electrical hook ups, etc. and they show the electrical cabinet door swing.

800 mm = 31.5 inches, so I'll bet it's a "Hoffman" cabinet with the door swinging out.

Or it could be to extract a ballscrew, or other part.

If it's not for the electrical cab, you might be able to leave it closer to the wall, and cut a hole in the wall if you
ever need to access it.

If there is an electrical cabinet in that part of the machine, you should have at least 36" clearance to the wall. Additional space is required if the 36" measurement prevents the cabinet door from opening to 90 degrees or more.

That being said, lots of folks place machines in tighter than that. Back when I did field service, we pretty much hated that. At the very least, it's a PITA to squeeze into a small area. It's dangerous for the tech. Sometimes you have to work in a live cabinet for troubleshooting. If you accidentally contact something hot, you need space to "move".

Can you position the machine so that the back is part of an aisle? That way the space behind the machine serves a dual purpose. I have one lathe positioned that way and it works out pretty well

Look up the manual for a First MCV-300, it is the same machine and the drawings are in there. There are two access points for the electrical - the relays and such are on a side panel and the main cabinet is in the back. Depending on year and control, you may have to access this to use the PCMCIA slot for large programs. I would not want less than 30" back there.

You also need a good 30" on either side to open the side doors. One of them gives you access to load/unload tools from the carousel directly.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have - I've had one of these for a few years. Capable machines for their age and price, but don't expect to do any 3D surfacing on it.

Yeah that was it. The 0i-Mate on mine had trouble with block processing speed for 3D surfacing and ended up gouging a lot and leaving dwell marks. It also had to slow toolpaths down so much to actually cut accurately that modern toolpaths didn't really work great. Mine was optioned only with AI-APC which is a very old look ahead type, and would only take G08 or G05.1 on and off, no tuning.

I would not try to surface with any FANUC 0i of that era, and Sharp machines tend to not be as highly optioned because let's be honest, you buy it because it is cheap and pretty good, not because it is a fantastic machine. My understanding is you also lose lookahead capability when drip feeding from the PCMCIA card, so anything larger than 120Kb (well, mine was optioned with 240Kb) and you cannot even really use the high speed.

Hope that helps.

Back