What's new
What's new

CNC Broaching - Incremental Spindle Orientation?

runninwideopen

Aluminum
Hi all,

I don't want to start another debate about CNC broaching on a mill. There's a hundred of them already out there.

What I do need to know, is if there's a way to do incremental spindle orientation so I can loop a 20T spline without multiplying my code 20x. I tried G91 M19 P18, no cigar. Anything like that exist? Without using macros? I don't have that option. Haas VF2.

You have to pay extra for it. I have not. It's like buying a Ferrari and having to pay extra for it to shift into 5th and 6th gear.

- Indexing head or a custom-made fixture (means manual indexing, should the joy of it outweigh the cost of Macro-B option?)
- Run the program over ethernet or from a memory card so code size won't be an issue

I just finished copying and pasting the code 20x and changing the orientation on each copy. Program size isn't a problem - it just opens up more opportunity for user error - one missed or miscalculated orientation angle and I could break my tool or hit the spindle too hard. I don't really want to buy the macro option for a 20 year old VF2. But when I buy a new machine, it will have it.

Back