CNC chuck run Out and removal advice needed.
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Country
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default CNC chuck run Out and removal advice needed.

    Hello

    I have a Forkardt 3QLC/k200 power chuck mounted on a Super Kia Turn 200 that is in need to remove from the spindle.
    The main reason is the run out it outputs and need to check the spindle drawtube runout as well. Also for cleaning.
    On the plate 0.03mm, on the chuck body 0.08mm, on the internal cover 0.06mm.chuck.jpgimg_20190807_150911.jpg
    I have no experience with lathes but i believe this might be too much? Could it be the reason that i am having trouble with not drilling on center also?
    I am having issues for some time already with this machine, aligning the turret etc (got it used)and i already contacted a repair company but they are taking to long. Even paying big bucks is very difficult to source someone competent.
    Ok, main problem to remove, it looks that there is some type of cover before or attached to the draw nut. Is this the draw nut?
    As anyone ever used some type of chuck similar to this? Any experience removing this? I do not have the proper key, but maybe i can make one? Does this cover rotates/unscrews the draw nut also?nutcover.jpg3qlc.jpg
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    418
    Likes (Received)
    1659

    Default

    The little cover is just to keep chips out. It usually has 3 screws holding it in.

    After that cover is removed, you will need the wrench to remove the chuck from the drawtube.

    Here's the manual for that chuck:

    http://www.forkardt.com/userfiles/fi...bep43ji14zpbq/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valterroque View Post
    Hello

    I have a Forkardt 3QLC/k200 power chuck mounted on a Super Kia Turn 200 that is in need to remove from the spindle.
    The main reason is the run out it outputs and need to check the spindle drawtube runout as well. Also for cleaning.
    On the plate 0.03mm, on the chuck body 0.08mm, on the internal cover 0.06mm.chuck.jpgimg_20190807_150911.jpg
    I have no experience with lathes but i believe this might be too much? Could it be the reason that i am having trouble with not drilling on center also?
    I am having issues for some time already with this machine, aligning the turret etc (got it used)and i already contacted a repair company but they are taking to long. Even paying big bucks is very difficult to source someone competent.
    Ok, main problem to remove, it looks that there is some type of cover before or attached to the draw nut. Is this the draw nut?
    As anyone ever used some type of chuck similar to this? Any experience removing this? I do not have the proper key, but maybe i can make one? Does this cover rotates/unscrews the draw nut also?nutcover.jpg3qlc.jpg
    Thank you
    I am guessing that your concerned about runout due to vibration? the drawtube run out needs to be first check on hydraulic actuator in the big of the machine.
    before you disconect the chuck check that 1st. reason being if you disconnect the chuck the draw tube will just flop around.

    back to the actuator, there should be 2-3 plates in the back with it, check the run out on each one of those plates. it should not exceed .0005 . if they do adjust those 1st. this goes for your belt pulleys as well and anything thats spins in the back of the machine.

    alot of times the draw bar will come loose from the actuator nut in the back of the machine. its a pain to clean. DONT take it off if you can help it. if its loose I back it off a few turns then clean the threads put some lock tigh on it and tighten . then let it sit over night then put yout chuck on and tight the chuck nut.

    now having said that when ever tightening the chuck drawbar nut. you tightened hand tight then back off about 1/2 turn. reason you do this is so it doesnt freeze up or lock and when you have to take it off again it wont pull your drawbar out of the actuator or make it loose.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Country
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    The little cover is just to keep chips out. It usually has 3 screws holding it in.

    After that cover is removed, you will need the wrench to remove the chuck from the drawtube.

    Here's the manual for that chuck:

    http://www.forkardt.com/userfiles/fi...bep43ji14zpbq/
    Hi, thanks for reply and for the manual.
    This part is certainly not the cover you mention.
    Photo1 shows the cover:
    3qlc.jpg
    photo 2 and 3 shows also a wedge part which i believe according to the manual is the chuck piston attached to the drawbar.
    nut.jpgchuck-piston.jpg

    In this case a special key with a wedge form is necessary to rotate and must be purchased from Forkardt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Country
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    I am guessing that your concerned about runout due to vibration? the drawtube run out needs to be first check on hydraulic actuator in the big of the machine.
    before you disconnect the chuck check that 1st. reason being if you disconnect the chuck the draw tube will just flop around.
    The main reason so far is that the chuck wobbles considerably and it seems i cannot dial the boring holes correctly to align the turret.
    Obviously it can be my inexperience on dialing this boring holes on the lathe with a dial indicator but i believe the chuck because it's wobbling gives me a hard time.
    The difference is far greater than the problem magbases have due to gravity. Wish someone posted a video dialing a boring bar holder on a cnc lathe with a mag base.

    Also i intend to add a collect system in future and have the chuck just for larger stock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    back to the actuator, there should be 2-3 plates in the back with it, check the run out on each one of those plates. it should not exceed .0005 . if they do adjust those 1st. this goes for your belt pulleys as well and anything thats spins in the back of the machine.
    Will certainly look at it. I post a photo to confirm if that's what you mean.plates.jpg

    Thanks a lot for the tips.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valterroque View Post
    The main reason so far is that the chuck wobbles considerably and it seems i cannot dial the boring holes correctly to align the turret.
    Obviously it can be my inexperience on dialing this boring holes on the lathe with a dial indicator but i believe the chuck because it's wobbling gives me a hard time.
    The difference is far greater than the problem magbases have due to gravity. Wish someone posted a video dialing a boring bar holder on a cnc lathe with a mag base.

    Also i intend to add a collect system in future and have the chuck just for larger stock.



    Will certainly look at it. I post a photo to confirm if that's what you mean.plates.jpg

    Thanks a lot for the tips.
    Yes thats the part to make sure is dead nuts.

    when you say the chuck wobbles it is loose? did you stick an indicator on the top and face of chuck? granted the face and od of the chuck can be beat to shit but see what your run out it.
    have you tried to cut jaws with the machine yet

    You said you have no experience on a lathe. so before you do anything stick a set of jaws on it and cut them, then hold a part and indicate it.
    make sure you bore your jaws with a spider in them. a spider is a slug to hold the jaws from moveing.

    You also shouldnt have to indicate the boring bar in, just bolt it up on the flats, if its way off center then more than likely your turret has been crashed and you need to realign that. its very simple.

    What I would do for your indicator is make a slug with a hole in it and a side hole for a set screw to hold a rod that will hold your indicator. bore a hole in your jaws to that size. pop it in with indicator.

    Then put your turret on a i.d station bring it to 0 and indicate it. thats how you tell if the turret is off

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Country
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Yes that's the part to make sure is dead nuts.
    Vacation is over and back in Business...

    I place an indicator over those 2 disks and this is what i get. Well i know its not good just don't know how bad.
    The sound it is not this evident near the machine. Is it the from the spindle? Or the phone is to sensitive?


    Shared album - valterMQ - Google Photos (Disk 01)

    Shared album - valterMQ - Google Photos ( Disk 02)

    Shared album - valterMQ - Google Photos ( Chuck )

    Just got a set of soft jaws ( had to import directly from Germany) those 1/16"x90 Degree are not available locally. Just 1.5x60
    Will try to bore to 20mm and use a C20 ER20 to see if i can indicate the damn boring bar tool holder.

    Advice is very much welcome.

    Regards


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •