What's new
What's new

CNC Coolant

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Hello Folks,

Time to replace this old coolant in the Haas and Hurco (thankfully) Im not going back with this trim50. apparently it has 0 rust preventative. some names keep coming up such as blaser swisslube and dynatech k2002.. The prices isnt bad on the dynacool if it works as good as I have read.

Anyways, I searched but some of those threads are outdated so seeing if there is any more recent discoveries you will share. We cut aluminum h13 p20 px5 stainless and several different plastics. my main concerns are the health risk of misting and dermatitis followed by rust prevention and tool life. Any suggestions.

JC

JC,

Coolant that are sold as coolants (some make their own concoctions) are engineered as rust preventatives, but only if you maintain a certain concentration, like 5% to 7%. Have you been maintaining and monitoring concentration? Other than that, I'd be looking at names like CIMCOOL. Blaser is great, and pricey, but you still have to monitor concentration levels with a refractometer.

yes we monitor our coolant. the stuff we are using just plain out sucks. I have used cimcool in the past with no problems, just looking to see if there is any alternatives. We do frequently cut 50+rockwell and I have even had to tap some 55rc s7 before so i really need a good high quality lubricant/coolant that will get the job done. I should add that lately we are investing more and more in TiAlN and other high end cutters and running dry. The coolant is mainly used for areas that have a need for better surface finish, chip flushing, or tapping. Other than that, I never cut the coolant on, and just use air blast.

Having lived many years in Texas, I know it gets hot and stays hot almost throughout the entire state. That means you will be losing a lot of water through evaporation, and therefore adding a lot of straight water or a low concentration of coolant and water. The quality of your water has a great deal to do with the life of your coolant. If you do add straight water ( or a low concentration of coolant ) the water is evaporating and the mineral and salt content of your coolant is going to increase to a point where your coolant will " break " or demulsify. If this is a problem, you may have to use deionized water to prevent it.

I live, and the shop is in Houston and the water here is all city water and is actually pretty good. The shop is air conditioned. we really don't loose that much water. But just the same, I see your point.

About three years ago, we began switching our coolant form Cimcool to Oemeta. We were having dermatitis and real bad smoking issues. After switching to Oemeta, those issues went away. It is a vegetable oil based coolant made in Germany, although they are opening their own facility here in the western U.S.
We have it in a horizontal mill that is only occasionally used, and after sitting unused for almost six months, we fired it up expecting to have to deal with that horrible rotten egg smell of crappy coolant. Everyone was pleasantly surprised to find no odor clotting, or other issues upon startup. This coolant takes a bit more monitoring, as it is a two component coolant. Might be worth your while to check out.

I don't know what it costs, but we use Castrol Hysol MB50. Works great on both the coolant and lube fronts, hasn't stained anything we've used it on, no rust to be found in the machines, doesn't smell bad, and last a long time in the sump. We do have some mild foaming issues when using high pressure for long periods of time, but normally cleaning chip screens fixes that.

Im narrowing it down to a list of a few types and I will call the respective tech lines tommorrow. Im a big fan of Fuch's lubricants so I may just go ahead and try the Ecocool EP. Vasco 7000 is a close 2nd just based of my hour of reading here. ESTRAMET S33 also looks like a good one.

I don't know what it costs, but we use Castrol Hysol MB50. Works great on both the coolant and lube fronts, hasn't stained anything we've used it on, no rust to be found in the machines, doesn't smell bad, and last a long time in the sump. We do have some mild foaming issues when using high pressure for long periods of time, but normally cleaning chip screens fixes that.

I am also using that. It works great, so far has lasted 1 year and still no smell, nor does it feel slimy or anything on your hands or parts. I use dei water to top off with and cut 99% aluminum.

Guys on here reccommended to me kool rite 2290. Ive only used it a few days so far,but as of now,i agree,and like it.

JC,
we've been using Val-Cool undyed metal working coolant in our Haas for 13 years and haven't had any rust issues. I maintain a 2 on the refractometer for concentration that was recommended by them.
No dermatitis issues to date. The part number is VP 920 005U.

What kind of cuts are u making? It seems impossible to find a coolant that covers all the bases. If it works great for all metals, then its go bio isses. If its got no bio issues and is perfect for tapping hardened tool steel, then it sucks on aluminum. Lol.. s-500 has a lot of negative post about leaving a brown film. I keep comin back to blaser 4000. I havent heard any bad about it. I will look into the val cool as well

Hello to all on this thread.My name is Paul and I started as a machinist apprentice back in 1973. I have also worked for Tribol and Castrol selling lubricants and cutting & grinding fluids. For the last 6 years I have been the Sales & Technical Resource Manager for American Research Specialty Products. Should anyone need assistance or recommendations regarding coolants or any type of metal removal fluid please contact me. I will be more than happy to help you whether you choose to use us as a supplier or not. Thanks much and I look forward to hearing from you. Note: We have yet to find any competitive product that outperforms our SYNTEC 9289C in any operation involving TITANIUM.[/B]

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I narrowed it down to global 10 from fuchs and trimsol 690XT. I couldn't decide so i ordered a pail of each and Ill put one in each machine and see how they perform. Also got the whamX to clean the machines up with so ill run that before I clean the sumps.

JC

Hello.My name is Octavio. Im one of the Oemeta Coolant Technicians here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Id like to take the time if you have any question, issue or interest about our products and would like to make myself available to answer all of your inquiries regarding our line of coolants.

Hello.My name is Octavio. Im one of the Oemeta Coolant Technicians here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Id like to take the time if you have any question, issue or interest about our products and would like to make myself available to answer all of your inquiries regarding our line of coolants.

Oemeta coolant gives half of its profits to Donald Trump's presidential campaign.

I used blaser 4000 strong for years tell the price got nuts on it ,,, I have been running trim E-206 and would not go back to blaser even if it was the same price ,,,

Back